Vice President, APAC Control Group
Vice President, APAC Control Group
- Primary Location: Australia,New South Wales,Sydney
- Education: Bachelor's Degree
- Job Function: Compliance and Control
- Schedule: Full-time
- Shift: Day Job
- Employee Status: Regular
- Travel Time: No
- Job ID: 16039198
The APAC Control Group is responsible for the establishment and maintenance of the Firm's various information barriers or 'Chinese Walls' which operate between the Firm's public and private side businesses, which are designed to prevent the misuse of material non-public information ("MNPI") or inside information and ensure compliance with internal policies, external regulation and legal requirements.
The team is responsible for identifying potential conflicts of interest and following close analysis and discussion, taking action to avoid conflicting activities between the Firm's various businesses. The team also provides advisory support in relation to regulatory requirements to business employees across Asia Pacific, including research analysts, investment bankers and sales and trading staff.
The Asia Pacific team works closely on a regular basis with the wider global Control Group teams (based in Belfast, New York and Tokyo) as well as with external legal counsel across the regions, tracking legal and regulatory changes across the globe in order to keep conflict management systems and policies up to date.
The Asia Pacific Control Group has a presence in Hong Kong and Sydney.
Citi's Compliance Department provides compliance coverage for a wide range of financial products and services spanning Citi's Asia Pacific business regions.
A leading provider of financial services and investment banking opportunities to financial institutions and corporate clients, governments and retail banking clients and with a global presence spanning 100 countries and a legacy reaching back over 200 years, Citi is uniquely qualified to provide services to clients with both local and cross border interests.
In particular, Citi Research produces research on securities and provides this research to institutional clients. The Control Group reviews the research products before they are sent to clients to identify and address any problematic legal, regulatory and reputational issues.
Additionally, Citi Corporate Finance businesses throughout Asia Pacific undertake a variety of sensitive and confidential transactions. To comply with relevant law and regulation, the Control Group is responsible for maintaining details of sensitive transactions on the Firm's watch and restricted lists. An appropriate determination as to the transactions' characteristics and associated choice of watch and restricted list category is a key part of the function.
- Act in a key capacity supporting the Research and Investment Banking businesses, through the following activities:
- Providing advice to Research, Investment Banking and Capital Markets Origination (CMO) staff on regulation and Firm policy/process in respect of Research Analyst involvement in the capital formation process
- Reviewing research product prior to publication, to identify and address any problematic legal, regulatory and reputational issues
- 'Gatekeeping' interaction between Citi Research and Investment Banking
- Reviewing and negotiating Research Guidelines for equity offerings with other syndicate banks and underwriters counsel
- Formulating, implementing and maintaining Research policies and procedures and training programs to ensure the business comply with their legal and regulatory obligations
- Advising Research, Capital Markets and Investment Banking Management teams on regulatory, reputational and compliance issues
- Additionally, day-to-day responsibilities include working with the wider Control Group team through the following activities:
- Liaising with the Firm's Investment Banking and Capital Markets professionals on progress of non-public M&A, financing and capital markets transactions in order to conduct materiality assessments and maintain watch and restricted lists
- Managing wall-crossings for public-side employees who may become involved in private side transactions
- Maintenance of the Control Group logs (for example on Chinese Wall breaches)
- Provide assistance on ad hoc projects
Given the breadth of the Control Group's responsibility and coverage, the role has potential for individual growth and development. The role will involve working closely with other members of the global Control Group, as well as senior-level exposure across the APAC compliance and legal departments, as well as its strategic partners, and businesses supported.
- Minimum 5 years working experience in financial institutions with a background in Legal/Compliance
- Control Group, Research or Banking compliance a positive but not required
- Self-starter who can identify problems and develop solutions with limited recourse to the rest of the team
- Work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Self-confident and able to prioritise own work flow and assist with the priorities of others
- Highly Computer literate
- A team player, adhering to shift patterns without fail and ensuring appropriate alternate cover is in place in the event of unavoidable absences
- Strong attention to detail and high levels of accuracy, and accurate and efficient turnaround of tasks and projects
- Willingness to assume responsibility
- Good interpersonal skills
- Flexible to react to changing priorities including working extra hours when required