Head of Risk
- Excellent base plus bonus
- Paris, Ile-de-France, France
- Permanent, Full time
- Westbourne Partners
- 26 Sep 16
Multi national bank covering Investment Banking, Corporate & Retail Banking, and Asset & Wealth Management. As the Head of Risk the incumbent will have overall responsibility for identifying, monitoring and managing the various risk profiles associated with the operations of Group’s offices in France. The incumbent will create, review and recommend a risk management strategy for France and define the risk appetite and risk policies for France with overall Group risk policies. You must have several years relevant experience in Paris.
Position: Head of Risk
Direct Supervisor (Solid): Head of Global Risk Support
Direct Supervisor (Dotted): General Manager, France
Location: Paris, France
Multi national bank covering Investment Banking, Corporate & Retail Banking, and Asset & Wealth Management.
Job Purpose Summary:
As the Head of Risk the incumbent will have overall responsibility for identifying, monitoring and managing the various risk profiles associated with the operations of Group’s offices in France.
The incumbent will create, review and recommend a risk management strategy for France and define the risk appetite and risk policies for France with overall Group risk policies
Essential Duties & Responsibilities by Dimensions:
- Recommend risk measurement methodologies to quantify risks in a consistent manner across the Country covering credit, market, operational and regulatory risks;
- Prepare such policies and procedures as are required for the operation and management of the framework and oversee their implementation;
- Maintain the framework by recommending and making such changes as are necessary in response to:
- Changes in business conditions or the Group’s risk appetite
- Changes in regulation
- Changes in technology
- Implement a regime to monitor the ongoing effectiveness of the risk framework in risk, regulatory and operational terms, recommending such changes as may from time to time be required;
- Review existing processes for the collation and production of KRI reports and implement or enhance as necessary;
- Attend or chair risk and other control or oversight committees set up for France;
- Stay abreast of regulatory developments and industry best practice, introducing revisions to the framework in response to both;
- Input to the development of risk management practice and policies across the wider Group.
- Work closely with the Compliance and Internal Audit Departments to ensure the work of all areas mesh together with no gaps and appropriate “3 level” controls are maintained across all areas of the business;
- Assist operational teams with risk issues, notably DR planning to ensure robust procedures and systems are in place;
- Participate in and contribute to, management meetings for France
- Regulatory liaison in conjunction with office and Country GMs.
- Oversee development of new processes and procedures and implementation with respect to Risk Management and be the point of reference for all matters concerning risk
- Monitor effectiveness of and enhance and develop processes and procedures in conjunction with HO Risk Management to improve effectiveness of risk management at branch and HO level.
- Review and process queries / proposals relating to all aspects of Risk Management
- Liaise and work with Operations, HO Risk, Information Technology, Treasury and Financial Institutions to ensure appropriate support is given to the implementation of Branch and HO Risk Management
- On a dynamic basis research and study trends in international markets with respect to all aspects of risk management and the development of information feeds and databases to ensure early warning systems are in place to minimize losses to the Bank
- Remain up to date on all aspects of regulatory limits, controls and requirements (particularly in respect of the country Central Banks and regulators in the Country).
- A superior knowledge of Credit, Market, Counterparty, Reputational and other financial and non-financial risks that might expose the Bank to loss
- Ability to leverage own and departmental performance by delegating and managing through others.
- Ability to operate and perform in a diverse environment under general direction, guidelines and rules.
- Superior negotiation skills cross functionally and externally.
- Superior communication skills both interpersonal and for communicating messages across and up and down levels.
- Ability to reflect on own performance and seek out the counsel of peers, subordinates, seniors and external reviewers to enhance performance
- Develop leadership and talent within the organization with associated performance management as required by the Bank from time to time
- Hold meetings with direct reports and assess their performance as well as the department’s overall performance with Head of Global Risk Support and Country GM on a regular basis.
- Take decisive action to ensure speedy resolution of unresolved grievances or conflicts within the Risk Management team.
- Ensures high standards of confidentiality and ethics to safeguard commercially sensitive information.
- All other ad hoc duties and/or activities related to Group that management may request of the employee from time to time.
- University graduate with additional recognized qualification in financial Risk Management and Masters preferred.
- Solid general banking experience, typically gathered by 10-15 years of experience or more
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Risk Management (especially Credit Liquidity and Market Risk), typically 5 years or more, preferably in Paris, France
- Sound capabilities in a Functional Management role preferably in a multinational environment
- Solid international experience either in an international posting or working internationally involving interaction with diverse environments and different cultures.
- Demonstrated ability to manage cross functional relationships
Required Special Skills:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Commercial approach to managing risk
- Strong analytical capability.
- Familiar with the balanced scorecard approach.
- Good presentation skills.
- Ability to motivate and lead teams from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to manage a variety of groups, each with their own objectives to achieve a common goal.
- Superior negotiation skills
Framework and Boundaries:
- Group’s overall strategic plan
- Group Risk Management policies and guidelines
- Regulatory Framework in HO Country and France
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Direct reporting line to Group Risk
- Dotted reporting lines to France GM
- Regular contact with senior management of France
- Regular contact with senior managers in HO Credit and Financial Institutions Dept.
- All Risk positions in France