Associate / VP, CIB AML Investigations
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- J.P. Morgan
- 25 Sep 16
Associate / VP, CIB AML Investigations
About J.P. Morgan Corporate & Investment Bank
J.P. Morgan's Corporate & Investment Bank is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The world's most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. With $18 trillion of assets under custody and $393 billion in deposits, the Corporate & Investment Bank provides strategic advice, raises capital, manages risk and extends liquidity in markets around the world.
JP Morgan Chase Asia regional Anti Money Laundering (AML) Compliance Team is responsible for implementation and oversight of AML and sanctions initiatives for the firm's businesses in Asia. You will expect to engage mostly with the Corporate Investment Banking / Treasury and Security Services on a lesser degree, with the Investment Bank and The Private Bank.
Treasury & Securities Services (TSS) generate more than billion in revenue annually and is a global leader in cash management, custody, securities lending, fund accounting and administration. Treasury Services is one of the world's largest providers of cash management solutions and we process as much as USD 5 trillion in U.S. Dollar Wire transfers daily.
Our Investment bank has one of the largest client bases in the world. We serve nearly 20,000 clients, including corporations, governments, states, municipalities, healthcare organizations, education institutions, banks and investors. We offer a complete range of financial services to help clients achieve their goals including strategic advice, liquidity, corporate financing and risk management.
J.P. Morgan's Private Bank offers expertise across wealth management disciplines to help ultra high net worth clients advance toward their goals. Private Bank is organized in four global regions: Asia, Europe and the Middle East, Latin America, and the United States.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform investigations for the Corporate Investment Banking (CIB) / Treasury Service business for the APAC region, to identify and investigate unusual activity, form recommendations on further actions and present findings to senior compliance members and working committees. The role is based within the Regional AML Investigations team.
Specific responsibilities includes:
- Performing analysis on transactions to identify unusual activity, conduct research/ investigation to form recommendations on degree of suspicion on a timely basis. While training will be provided, the successful candidate will be expected to think 'out of the box' and be intuitive on where information can be found.
- Presenting recommendations to senior members of compliance for discussion. Articulating arguments to substantiate recommendations and presenting these arguments well in writing.
- Querying and discussing issues uncovered with the CIB / TSS business. Educating them on observed risks and convincing the business on the recommended course of action.
- Presenting cases/ issues found at regional and global committees. To be able to argue merits of his/her recommendation to the committee, address questions and ensure all analysis performed is adequately documented.
- To work with compliance officers in other regions and the CIB / TSS compliance officer in arriving at suitable solutions for cases or issues. Be able to comment intelligently on issues and cases of other regions.
- Providing detailed analysis and resolution for alert hits relating to transactions, including assistance in Suspicious Activity Reports and analysis of client transaction behavior.
- Deal on a timely basis with enquiries from Regulators, Law Enforcement Bodies and internally from the business.
- Assist in the implementation of global policies and procedure relating to investigations in Asia, both with the business and within the Asia AML compliance team.
- Assist in the implementation of AML related projects, including the implementation of new case management system due to be rolled out.
- Support other AML units on an ad-hoc basis
- Strong Communication Skills. The successful candidate will be required to participate in, speak at and present to a committee comprising of peers/ senior compliance officers from other regions. He/She will also be required to communicate the requirements relevant issue to our businesses. Strong English writing skills is required.
- Strong analytical ability and logical thinking. Ability to identify issues accurately and offer solutions.
- Strong team player and ability to work under minimal supervision. Have the initiative to find out information to substantiate an opinion. Where required, be able to provide recommendations on compliance monitoring processes.
- As required, be able to work longer hours in and to participate in scheduled conference calls.
- Candidates with 5+ years in investigative experience gained with a Financial Institution, Big 4 Firm or Law enforcement background will be a distinct advantage.
- Occasional travel may be expected.
- Strong writing and speaking ability. Confidence to form an opinion on unusual activity and substantiate with information.
- 2+ years knowledge or working in banking industry. Knowledge of investment banking, securities, Treasury Services / cash management, and corresponding banking businesses will be a plus.
- Minimum 5 years in monitoring transactions and financial crime investigation. Knowledge of Anti-Money Laundering (AML) requirements in Asia, including Hong Kong and Singapore. General knowledge of AML requirements globally.
- Experience in monitoring transactions, market surveillance and financial crime investigations will be a strong advantage.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft applications - Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience in AML/ Compliance, audit, operational risk management, Financial Crime Prevention / Law Enforcement or in a similar control function.
- Able to speak and write in English fluently. Fluent writing ability in Cantonese and / or Mandarin will be a plus.