- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Societe Generale
- 01 Oct 16
GBIS is the Corporate and Investment Banking arm of the Société Générale Group. Present in over 50 countries across Europe, the Americas and Asia. GBIS provides corporate, financial institutions, investors and public sector clients with value-added integrated financial solutions.
APAC Compliance maintains a local presence in Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan (90+ staff in total). Our primary focus is to support GBIS activities (MARK - global capital markets & GLFI - global structured finance). The allocation of resources in the region is proportionate to company staffing, size of business activities and local regulatory constraints.
- Hong Kong is the regional business and Compliance hub. The team is approx. 35+ staff and split into 6 areas of expertise.
- Advisory to Business Lines (GCM)
- Governance & Regulatory Programs (GRP)
- Capital Markets Surveillance (CMS)
- Assessment, Monitoring & Testing (AMT)
- Financial Crime Unit (FCU)
- Control Room
In other countries, we have multi disciplinary compliance teams covering all functions.
The candidate will be a member of the Hong Kong Compliance team in charge of Capital Markets Surveillance (CMS) and he/she will be primarily reporting to the CMS Team Leader. The candidate will have to work closely with other team leaders of the Compliance Department
Main responsibilities / Missions
- The mandate of the Capital Markets Surveillance (CMS) team covers Trade Surveillance and Communication Surveillance.
- Within that team, the candidate will have to perform both surveillance tasks. As such, the candidate will be expected to:
- Promptly undertake communication surveillance using the firm's oral and written communication surveillance tools as instructed by the supervisor of the team, as appropriate.
- Promptly undertake trade surveillance using SMARTS Broker and/or the firm's in-house tool as instructed by the supervisor of the team, as appropriate.
- Promptly investigate and clearly communicate issues arising from the surveillance activities, involving advisory compliance officers as required in order to follow issues through to full resolution with the business lines as appropriate.
- Proactively and timely escalate issues to CMS supervisor as required, ensuring regular and frequent communication on such issues.
- Actively participate in regulatory and internal investigations as required.
- Any other tasks/projects as assigned.
Product knowledge (equities, fixed income, currencies, commodities)
- Necessary to understand communications of Front Officers.
Tenacity and being results oriented
- Communication surveillance is a very time consuming task. The candidate must be mentally prepared to have a workload of approximately 8,000 messages to review every month.
Ability to estimate risk
- Through the monitoring of communications, the candidate will be required to exercise judgment on regulatory risks. It is essential to our everyday activities in Compliance. He/she needs to be curious and proactive in raising questions and concerns.
- The candidate will operate within a multi-jurisdiction platform and deal with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and culture.
Oral and written communication
- Communication is at the center of what we do every day. The candidate must be fluent in English as the monitoring involves communications essentially in that language. French and/or Chinese would also be a plus.
Analytical skills and ability to summarize key messages
- The candidate will be entrusted with projects and tasks of his/her own and his/her manager will expect to receive very clear and concise feedback on the work progress.