Legal Counsel, CIB, Hong Kong
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 15 Aug 16
Please view Job Description for details.
Standard Chartered is a leading international bank operating in some of the most dynamic markets in the world, in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Our successful and sustainable business is built on doing tangible, long term good for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
- To provide legal support on a transactional basis to CIB in connection with various business areas and regions.
- To ensure Commercial and Corporate and Institutional Banking use appropriate forms of legal documents for dealings with third parties with adequate protections and remedies to address credit and event risk, and help management determine that transactions with third parties are valid and enforceable under the laws of all relevant jurisdictions.
- To assist in the negotiation and completion of contractual documentation with customers and counterparties.
- To assist in the design and terms of structured and customised transactions.
- To identify and find ways to reduce legal risk.
- To control the quality and cost of legal services provided by external law firms and to approve the selection of external law firms.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist in developing policies and standards for the terms on which business is conducted and for processes required to manage legal risk arising in the course of business.
- Assist in developing standard form documentation for products that are offered in more than one jurisdiction, and review standard-form documentation periodically and propose changes to ensure that it remains appropriate in the light of legal, regulatory and market developments.
- Assist in the review of legal opinions covering due capacity and enforceability.
- Provide guidance to documentation units on acceptable amendments to approved standard form documentation and review and approve any non-standard documents or material departures from approved standard form documentation in particular cases.
- Work with product specialists and relationship / sales staff, and external counsel, where applicable, to structure and document one-off transactions.
- Where appropriate, and after consultation with the relevant relationship officer, communicate directly with counterparties to negotiate, or explain, contractual documents.
- Assist in controlling the selection and appointment of external counsel in relation to product management and transactions. Approve each appointment of external counsel and monitor the performance and cost of external counsel.
- Provide legal advice, briefings, recommendations and reports on material legal risks and issues to business, country and functional stakeholders.
- Handle all legal matters relating to the CIB business in HK, including commercial banking activities, dispute resolution / litigation and employment issues.
- Work with Country Head of Legal, ensure appropriate in-country team resources, skills and capabilities to support business growth and address all legal risks.
Qualifications and Skills
- Educational background to degree level
- Qualified Lawyer
- Experience in general commercial banking, including lending, trade finance and cash management
- Understanding of the key features of relevant laws and regulations in the regions where relevant business is conducted (useful)
- Strong analytical and innovative legal skills
- Good judgment
- Personal authority and integrity
- Independence and resilience
- An inquisitive approach to practices, procedures and specific transactions
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
The closing date for applications is 30/09/2016. Please note all closing dates are given in Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours). We aim to respond to successful applicants within four weeks and will keep a record or your application in our database so that we can contact you when suitable vacancies arise in future.
Third Party Applications
Please note: Applications from third parties are not accepted unless by invitation.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Standard Chartered is an equal opportunity employer. We have a meritocratic culture where each individual employee is valued and respected for who they are as a person and for what they bring to the organisation.