Operations HK, Disclosure of Interest, Director
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 30 Sep 16
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Operations is one of the largest divisions in the firm and has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, the Operations department continually seeks ways to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
The Operations Risk & Control Division is a global team responsible for Control (Balance Sheet Control, Credit & Market Risk, Policies & Procedures), Regulatory Reporting (Disclosure of Interest, Client Money, Transaction Reporting), Risk (Client Confidentiality, Operational Risk, BCP) and CTB Projects. The Division has over 300 team members across the Firm, with the majority residing in New York, Glasgow and London as well as with Vendors in Chennai.
We currently have an opportunity within the ORC Disclosures of Interest (DOI) team that is to be setup in Hong Kong, a team that is focused on fulfilling regulatory requirements mainly for Substantial Shareholder position monitoring and disclosure, as well as oversight functions moved to India to ensure Morgan Stanley is meeting reporting and disclosing in line with Regulations. This role is a business critical control role required to provide coverage across all DOI functions and regulatory reporting obligations, as well as to reduce the risk of regulatory breeches across the full suite of DOI functions.
The candidate should expect to build an intricate knowledge of Asia Pacific rules and regulations pertinent to the team, firm systems, data sources, as well as the processes that are in place to ensure compliance with regulations. The candidate will be expected to organise the workload of the team and to be able to contribute to checking all workings and disclosures performed by the team are accurate.
The candidate will be expected to analyse and improve processes, identify and manage risk and guide junior members of the team. As such communication and organisational skills as well as attention to detail and a readiness to escalate issues with a sense of urgency are of importance.
The individual will have diverse responsibilities, including but not limited to:-
1. Learning and performing functions in order to be able to manage and perform checking of workings/disclosure processes performed by team members to ensure the highest standards of accuracy are reached.
2. Building a detailed understanding of each process, ensuring accurate filings to made to the regulators.
3. Acquiring an intricate knowledge of firm booking models, systems, data sources and processes, building the ability to understand the wider environment and question data integrity.
4. Identification and implementation of process improvements
5. Identification, mitigation, escalation and reporting of potential/current risks.
6. Providing support to other members of the team and partner with the DOI Ops team in India for various RTB/CTB deliveries.
7. Close communication with stakeholders including our dedicated compliance team and the business unit.
8. Contributing to ongoing change projects affecting the team.
9.Ensure adhere to firmwide and operations policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities
- Superb attention to detail, accuracy & quality.
- Proven management experience. Skills in delegation, organisation and people management to ensure the team works effectively and efficiently.
- Strong time management and task prioritisation skills. Willing to work additional hours to ensure all deliverables are performed within required timescales.
- Strong sense of urgency, accountability and ownership
- Focus on guardianship, ensuring that issues are identified, escalated, resolved and reported on a timely basis
- A positive outlook, energy and enthusiasm. Is a self-starter who takes individual ownership for work quality and improvement. Leads by examples working with drive and determination
- Ability to work well under pressure, lending control and order to a difficult or pressurised situation
- Ability to absorb information and learns quickly
- Innovation and creative skills challenges the existing processes and status quo.
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Diversified financial services product knowledge particularly in Equity products.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Advanced knowledge of Morgan Stanley trade flows and operational models.
- Advanced level of regulatory understanding.