SSGA Compliance, VP
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- State Street
- 24 Sep 16
Across the globe, institutional investors rely on us to help them manage risk, respond to challenges, and drive performance and profitability. We keep our clients at the heart of everything we do, and smart, engaged employees are essential to our continued success. Our promise to
Across the globe, institutional investors rely on us to help them manage risk, respond to challenges, and drive performance and profitability. We keep our clients at the heart of everything we do, and smart, engaged employees are essential to our continued success.
Our promise to maintain an environment where every employee feels valued and able to meet their full potential infuses our company values. It’s also part of our commitment to inclusion, development and engagement, and corporate social responsibility. You’ll have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you. Join us.
State Street Global Advisors (SSGA) is a global leader in institutional asset management, entrusted with more than $2.4 trillion in assets. For more than three decades, sophisticated investors worldwide have benefited from our disciplined, precise investment process and powerful global platform offering access to every major asset class, capitalization range and style across the indexing and active spectrums. Our mission, plain and simple, is helping our clients achieve financial security. Since this means something different for each investor, we devote significant time up front to thoroughly understand their specific needs, and then apply our experience and intellectual rigor across a broad toolkit to develop and manage thoughtful, targeted solutions aimed at ensuring their success. The firm employs more than 2,200 people globally in 17 countries, and has nine investment centers across the Americas, Europe and Asia.
SSGA is the investment management arm of State Street Corporation, one of the world’s leading providers of financial services to institutions.
SSGA’s Compliance team of approximately 141 professionals works to ensure that SSGA meets all regulatory requirements globally and is a trusted partner on regulatory and compliance issues.
SSGA is currently recruiting a Vice President of Compliance to report directly to the Vice President of Asia ex-Japan Compliance Team, based in Hong Kong. The SSGA Asia ex Japan Compliance team executes two Compliance Oversight Programs respectively for Hong Kong and Singapore. In addition, the compliance team provides investment compliance support to SSGA Asia Pacific including Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and Japan.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Reviewing and researching applicability of new rules and regulations. Acting as a subject matter expert in regulatory governance, providing insight on industry best practice, and benchmarking.
- Educating compliance and business personal on applicable compliance-related rules and regulations, including Securities and Futures Ordinance in Hong Kong, Securities and Futures Act in Singapore, QFII and RQFII related regulations in China, Financial Investment Services and Capital Markets Act in South Korea, Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and Investment Company Act of 1940 in United States, and other regulatory requirements for investment advisers, mutual funds, exchange traded funds, and other financial products
- Interacting with regulatory agencies and internal/external legal staff on regulatory exams and inquiries
- Reviewing and assessing compliance breaches and remediation
- Preparing various regulatory filings and reporting
- Leading design and implementation of product governance, ethics compliance and compliance monitoring activities
- Acting as subject matter expert in AML compliance
- Supporting the SSGA Conflicts of Interest Program
- Supporting the continuous enhancement of SSGA’s compliance oversight programs
- Working with Compliance Oversight Program key stakeholders to define, prioritize, and achieve strategic objectives while ensuring projects delivered meet approved requirements
- Preparing/conducting and presenting annual and periodic compliance program reports/reviews to satisfy client, regulator, and internal management requirements, where applicable
- Managing key projects from the initiation and planning stages through execution and completion
- Developing, implementing, and administering compliance policies and procedures.
- Understanding Volcker Rule compliance
- Undergraduate college degree required, Juris Doctor Degree preferred
- Minimum 10 years of experience administering compliance programs for asset managers licensed in Hong Kong
- 5+ years of experience in staff or team management
- Expert understanding of SFC rules and regulations in relation to licensing, AML and registered products
- Knowledge of China, Singapore, South Korea and USA rules and regulations a plus
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks in a high pressure, deadline-driven environment
- Strong abilities in analytical thinking, problem solving, research, time management, and verbal and written communication
- Capable of leading teams and producing high quality and/or final work product and solutions under strict regulatory or management deadlines
- Ability to take ownership and initiative, to negotiate, influence and build consensus and successfully navigate within a demanding and international environment of a leading global financial institution
- Ability to effectively collaborate with individuals across business units/lines