Head of Regulatory Compliance
- MYR 30,000 - 40,000 per month
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Permanent, Full time
- Ellwood Consulting
- 26 Sep 16
Head of Regulatory Compliance is a key strategic risk management role that has a broad remit and responsibilities for leading implementation and management with guidance from Global Head, of all aspects of Regulatory Compliance including impact analysis of regulatory changes, and driving coordination and execution of the various Regulatory Compliance work streams and assurance in Malaysia, while ensuring alignment with Global Standards.
About the Client
The Client is a Financial Institution and one of the largest Foreign banking groups in Malaysia. Also a Public listed company on the Main Board of Bursa Malaysia, the organization has subsidiaries offering a range of products and services. The organization believes in dynamic development as an integral factor within its culture and is great place to explore in enhancing career aspirations.
About the Role
The role requires strong partnership with the Regulatory Compliance business and leadership team, interfaces with both Regulatory Compliance Risk and General Compliance and has responsibility for driving the implementation of policy arising out of Global Standards Committee. It will monitor and track the progress of various work streams and initiatives underway which fall under the umbrella of Regulatory Compliance Risk and Global Standards, provide policy advice related to products, services and clients, and ensure that the Regulatory Compliance function is resourced adequately to address the risks associated with all global businesses in Malaysia.
The role will also need to stay at the forefront of regional regulatory changes to ensure proactive communication with business and develop appropriate policy and framework to manage the changes in Malaysia. It will be the RC go-to person for both Global Standards and Regulatory Compliance work stream leads to ensure processes are coordinated and implementation risks and issues are considered and addressed.
The role is a critical forward looking leadership role and requires strong partnership with business to drive and accelerate the execution of Regulatory Compliance programs that directly impact business performance. This role is accountable for the implementation of Regulatory Compliance policies in to the business and as such it will require close collaboration with various Regulatory Compliance Risk and Business functions in Malaysia. The role will be a member and participate actively in the Regulatory Compliance Reputational Risk Committee, if applicable.
- Leadership to ensure proactive approach is taken to identification of Regulatory Compliance risk change and potential impacts on Business Model in Malaysia.
- Continuous review for appropriateness of framework to monitor regulatory compliance developments impacting on business in Malaysia.
- Lead implement programs to quantify impacts and implement actions to address, manage and mitigate impacts of regulatory changes on business in Malaysia.
- Implement as required market product suitability, sales and staff remuneration policies and systems that ensure that business ‘exposure to regulatory compliance and reputational risks is managed, in a practical and effective manner, including efficient and reasonable deployment of resources and an understanding of the business operations and needs.
- Establishes and implement global standards and strategic policies which ensure business ‘exposure to current risks and emerging arising risk is managed appropriately, in a commercially focused and practical manner.
- Works closely with Financial Intelligence Unit and Business Financial Intelligence Units to manage Risk and Compliance matters in Malaysia.
- Reviews and assists in the effective deployment of the Regulatory Compliance Assurance function.
- Lead / liaison with relevant stakeholder within the businesses in Malaysia, other Global Business and Functional teams to provide expertise and support on all Regulatory Compliance related matters.
- Interaction with Regulators and industry bodies in Malaysia, on Regulatory Compliance matters.
- Ensure the appropriate timely and relevant risk information is provided to the bank’s management, Risk Management Committee and Risk Committee.
- Leadership of resources, people, process and change management to support a customer focus business operation.
- Strong communication and working relationship within other business leaders, other Risk Disciplines, Functions and Global Businesses to ensure implementation of new disciplines.
- Lead, motivate and develop an effective team through communication, cultivate an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand and improves employee engagement.
- Share best practice with group offices, other business lines and other regions
- Responsible for the performance management of the team, using relevant performance management tools, ensuring timely action is taken to improve underperformance, to maximize effectiveness of the team.
- Take a hands-on approach to coaching with regular & productive use of Personal Development Plans and appropriate follow up.
- Ensure development activities are a core priority and enable all team members to take reasonable time for learning and developmental activities.
- Ensure the team in Malaysia, is resourced to headcount plan, sufficient to meet the demands and opportunities of the business.
- Maintain and develop positive and professional working relationships with senior business managers at the Global and Country levels.
You will have
- At minimum a degree holder.
- Minimum 15-20 years of experience in the banking industry and required field.
- Have a strong and holistic understanding of the regulatory compliance function in financial services industry locally and globally.
- Have a strong and holistic understanding of how current trends in laws and regulations which impact the compliance framework and standards.
- Good writing skills with ability to customize best practices to suit the Group’s compliance strategies.
- Good understanding of banking business and the relevant compliance obligations.
- Able to work efficiently and effectively to meet tight deadlines.
- Able to lead a team to achieve results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Pro-active, display self-initiative, independent, adaptable and good analytical skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact well with all levels of employees and external parties.
- Ability to objectively analyze information and exercise good judgment.
- Open to Malaysian Citizens and returning Malaysians ONLY.
Please contact Santinee Balakrishnan, at 03-2181 8220 or email@example.com for further details.