Senior Manager, Compliance Monitoring Review
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 31 Aug 16
Please view Job Description for details.
- Implement the Group Compliance Review strategies and agenda.
- Formulate a relevant and inclusive Country Compliance Review schedule on an annual basis - to provide 2 nd line of defence oversight of the businesses and to meet and discharge the Compliance function assurance obligations and responsibilities.
- Deliver the planned Compliance Reviews effectively and timely
- Execute the Compliance Reviews in accordance to the Group Compliance Review standards - such as issuance of term of reference, conducting of fieldwork, and drafting of findings and reports.
- Ensure that significant issues identified during the course of reviews are properly escalated - "no surprises"; all identified issues are duly tracked, monitored and remediated timely.
- Provide periodic Compliance Review progress summary (i.e. issues highlights and trends, issues require management attention and discussion, etc.), to the relevant Governance Committee(s) in the region/countries accordingly - to ensure sufficient level of regional/country management team involvement.
- Manage a team of Compliance Reviewer(s) to adequately support the country
- Work closely with the other pillars of Compliance Assurance - MI & Data Management, Compliance Risk Management, Process & Control.
- Carry out periodic and ad-hoc samples testing, investigation and validation as necessary
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Deliver the Compliance Review schedule that has been committed.
- Improve the quality of the reviews, paying particular focus to the Executive Summaries, issue trends, and covering emails to stakeholders.
- Play a full role in the Compliance team meetings, ensuring that Compliance Review attracts due attention from that forum.
- Check the tracker at least on a monthly basis and ensure that all entries are correct and that any matters that are overdue are followed up and escalated, as appropriate.
- Interpret the monthly MI on Compliance Review to Country Head of Compliance, if any.
- Provide managerial support and staff developmental guidance to the Compliance Review team under management.
- Effective management and deployment of team resources.
- Develop and strengthen the Compliance Review Team's proficiency and competency, in order to quality reviews and consistency.
- Proactively engage with stakeholders to ensure that the Country Compliance function's objectives and priorities are aligned with business direction and regulatory expectations, and that compliance risk are considered on all matters
- Co-ordinate requests for additions, deferrals, cancellations of reports and extensions of target dates.
- Ensure that countries complete and retain working papers as set down in the Compliance Review standards.
- Active management and participation in the Compliance Review activity (including fieldwork) in the region.
- Share findings from other regions with relevant stakeholders in the region and countries.
- Assist the Head of Regulatory Compliance in the operational risk responsibilities for the compliance function, which includes performing the KCSAs/ CSTs/ KCIs for the Compliance department
- Assist to ensure all audit issues highlighted by regulators/ Audit are adequately addressed and remedial action are taken on a timely basis
- Conduct periodic sample testing on key controls over regulatory requirements in other parts of the bank
- Validate confirmation provided (eg implementation of controls documented in gap analysis or Compliance policy requirements)
- Verify/ Investigate areas of potential concerns highlighted by MIs provided by various parties
Qualifications and Skills
- Sound knowledge of Compliance and Regulatory matters; preferably with at least 6 years of relevant banking, compliance and audit-related experiences.
- Strong Leadership, Strategic Thinking and Analytical capabilities, and Communication skills.
- An inquisitive approach to practices, procedures and specific transactions
- Ability to influence and work collaboratively with colleagues across Compliance (i.e. Business, Regional and Country), Operational Risk, Group Internal Audit, and other respective Business and Group Functions, and including problem solving.
- A disciplined approach to Planning, Execution and Delivery.
- Must be team-oriented.
- Personal authority, integrity and ethics
- Able to lead and motivate the team under supervision
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.