AVP, Underwriting - Healthcare Liability
- Permanent, Full time
- Allied World Assurance Company Ltd
- 29 Sep 16
AVP, Underwriting - Healthcare Liability
This role can be based in Sydney or Singapore, depending on the location of the successful candidate.
Responsible for underwriting a complex book of Healthcare Liability business (comprised of medical professional liability, general/public liability and directors and officers insurance), employing the methods necessary to meet projected profitability, GWP, and expense goals, management and growth of the overall portfolio of business, implementing proper underwriting disciplines/guidelines, marketing and servicing of existing and potential clients. Administers and monitors underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws and regulations, rating rules and models. Provides technical guidance, assistance and training to lower level associates.
- Produce consistent gross and net underwriting profit.
- Execute approved business plan to establish and develop balanced and diverse book of business in accordance with underwriting guidelines.
- Communicate clearly with direct managers regarding travelling/marketing and target plans.
- Review and analyze underwriting submissions, slips and contracts.
- Set appropriate terms and conditions following the Company's business strategy to quote selected risks.
- Exercise proper underwriting pricing and discipline to meet profitability goals, complying with underwriting guidelines, systems and procedures.
- Maintain underwriting files in an orderly manner and in accordance with the underwriting guidelines, including maintenance of all reporting systems for submissions and bound accounts, rate change modeling, bound account listing, submission log and reports as may be developed.
- Conduct pre-quote and mid-term underwriting audits as needed.
- Expand existing portfolio of business by developing existing relationships and new prospective clients.
- Interact with existing and prospective clients, brokers, re-insurers and other business partners in support of the business.
- Liaise with brokers, internal auditors and Claims, Accounting, IT and Legal departments as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge of Healthcare Liability underwriting philosophy and basic fundamentals, techniques, and underwriting guidelines espoused by the company and in written form.
- Ability to develop ideas, methods, procedures, products, determine cause and develop effective solutions.
- Ability to effectively assess risk.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize work; effectively resolve conflict among priorities.
- Ability to develop solutions to problems. Evaluates courses of action and reach logical conclusions.
- Ability to provide guidance, assistance and training to lower level associates
- Strong marketing, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work within a team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel as required
About Allied World:
Allied World Assurance Company Holdings, AG, through its subsidiaries and brand known as Allied World, is a global provider of innovative property, casualty and specialty insurance and reinsurance solutions offering superior client service through a global network of offices and branches. All of Allied World's rated insurance and reinsurance subsidiaries are rated A by A.M. Best Company, A by Standard & Poor's, and A2 by Moody's, and our Lloyd's Syndicate 2232 is rated A+ by Standard & Poor's and AA- by Fitch. Headquartered in Switzerland, and with over 20 offices across North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific, Allied World strives to provide exceptional service and convenience to our clients and distribution partners. We have over 1,400 employees globally, all of whom are focused on providing superior customer service and creative risk solutions, building long-term, mutually beneficial relationships. Allied World is an Equal Opportunities Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, genetic information, or disability status. Please visit www.awac.com for further information on Allied World.