Compliance Singapore, ISG Compliance Vice President
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 29 Sep 16
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Professionals within Legal and Compliance provide a wide range of services to our business units. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on a new product introduction; develop a training program or defuse an investor dispute. They preserve the firm’s invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the firm from sanctions with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the firm’s businesses.
Background on the Position
Based in Singapore, the Compliance professional is responsible for assisting in managing the Firm’s regulatory risk and helping to preserve the Firm’s franchise through ensuring and monitoring Business and Infrastructure Units’ compliance with laws, regulations, rules and internal policies and procedures.
- Advisory: Provide advice either independently or with other team members on regulatory compliance issues across all Morgan Stanley’s businesses in Singapore and the region
- Projects: Actively involved in ad-hoc projects including implementing new systems and tweaking algorithms
- Desk Reviews and Monitoring: Ensure compliance with laws, rules, and regulations and the Firm’s policies, procedures and standards by conducting periodic desk reviews of the firm’s activities, through interviews and test checks
- Firm Policies: Consistently review internal policies to ensure alignment to the changing rules and regulations requirements
- Market Updates: Assist in monitoring regulatory and policy changes, analyzing their impact and communicating such changes to relevant staff.
- Reporting: Help to prepare and submit regular and ad-hoc regulatory reports, and/or reports of findings and following up on issues identified
- Documentation: Assist in the maintenance of Compliance documentation including Business Unit Manuals, Compliance Notices, Rules Database, which is a comprehensive database of the rules that the Firm must observe
- Training: Provide training to both professionals and support staff of the Business and Infrastructure Units, as required
- Business Partnership: Develop relationships with internal businesses to ensure its compliance with rules and regulations
- SGX/MAS: Understand the regulators’ rules and regulations and working on regulatory inspections and internal/external audits, as well as any ad-hoc regulatory inquiries
- Approvals: Be part of the team that review and request for approvals for new products, if any
Skills required (essential)
- Strong understanding of regulatory rules and policies; with strengths in Equities, Fixed Income, and Commodities
- Articulate on Compliance matters and the ability to develop a strong working partnership with the Sales & Trading Desk
- Excellent written English skills
- Strong analytical skills in identifying any discrepancies
- Possess market acumen to adjust and adapt to the changing regulatory landscape
- Proactive and ability to work independently when required
- Desire to work in a team environment
- Asian language abilities are helpful
Preference will be given to candidates with at least 10 years’ relevant working experience in the financial services industry in Markets Compliance and had come with a securities exchange or regulator background.