Custody & Clearing Group Operations
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 03 Jan 17
Please view Job Description for details.
Custody & Clearing Operations is a team of approx 900 staff across 34 locations. Together with Fund Services, it is the core service provider to the clients of Transaction Banking, Securities Services and Corporate Agency & Trust (TB SSCAT).
Custody & Clearing Operations covers the core activities and the mitigating controls supporting our Securities Services / Corporate Agency & Trust ("SS-CAT") business in Transaction Banking. The group is responsible for the development and execution of the target operating model covering group, countries and hubs. They work closely with TB Product, Technology & Control teams to implement the target architecture, processes and controls. In addition the group is reviewing all processes and procedures to ensure that we have an effective & efficient processes in both design and execution, active process control monitoring, accurate & timely risk-based reporting, ongoing education of CC Operations staff across all processing locations.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Part of a team of 6 the group overall is responsible for a number of roles which are outlined below. The individual will be responsible for various initiatives within the following.
- Help to map and define the activities being performed across CC Operations; and identify areas for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Leverage industry best practice and seek insight into developing trends which will have a bearing on the efficiency, effectiveness and quality of the services being required.
- Own the global process standards & governance of any deviations.
- Update and ensure compliance on all process documents - Department Operating Instructions ('DOIs'), Operational Risk Framework ('ORF'), process maps, capacity based metric
- Tracking and reporting on all Operational issues until completion
- Ensure efficiency & effectiveness of service delivery to our Clients in accordance with client SLAs, in compliance with all regulations and internal policy requirements
- Build out the Client Service Model.
- Indirect oversight of the teams located in GSSC (hubs) and Country Operations supporting custody flows.
- Develop Key Performance & Risk based metrics to demonstrate effective governance and oversight of all processes.
- Close partnership with Operations Functional Leads on the ongoing development of Global Processes (eg. Standardized process maps, DOIs, key risk points), Policies & Procedures & the compliance therewith, including any Country deviations. Review & approve any dispensation requests prior to GOH approval.
- ongoing education of CC Operations staff across all processing locations - service & control culture
- definition & implementation of the management oversight model, including roles & responsibilities and MIS/reporting requirements for BAU management
- Partner with Transaction Banking Sales / Relationship Managers and Country teams to ensure the key services are being performed to the standard required.
- In partnership with Securities Services Operations Client Excellence, develop a Client Scorecard to assess the effectiveness of Custody and Clearing Operations, seek constructive client feedback for optimising the experience and creating a 'best in class' proposition.
- Develop a Risk Dashboard which highlights key risks and controls across Countries and Hubs to demonstrate oversight and governance for CC Operations end-to-end.
- Act quickly and decisively when any risk and control weakness becomes apparent and ensure they are addressed within an appropriate timeframe and escalated through the relevant management teams & committees.
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Work in close collaboration with all partner functions for the benefit of our Clients, our staff and the SCB franchise.
- Working with Global, Regional, Country & GSSC Operations management, definition of plans & investment required to develop Custody Operations capability
- Detailed understanding of the products / services we provide our clients, the underlying detailed processes & data flows, team structures, technology architecture, key control points
- active 'near-real-time' process control monitoring
- accurate & timely risk based reporting
- overview of operational KRIs & drive resolution with Countries - nostros, depots, fails, suspense accounts, receivables, etc
- retrospective process reviews, based on specific incidents or self-initiated, to identify actions required to improve the effectiveness & efficiency of process and delivery to end clients
- Close understanding of the regulatory & control environment in which SCB operates, and how that is interpreted into specific policies and procedures
- in partnership with Control & Compliance teams, ensure current SCB policy requirements are clearly documented, understood & embedded within our Operations processes & working practices. Consultation on Process Universe, ORF, failure points and controls, residual risk rating.
- working with the TB & ITO Client teams, ensure that governance structures are aligned to client service delivery.
- ensure strong governance controls are in place across all our teams, including as part of the transition of any work from countries to our offshore hubs
- Write up / review all risk issues and corrective actions plans prior to their finalisation, including working with the Operations teams to drive effective resolution within committed timelines - Phoenix Risk items, operational incidents / losses, KCSA / CST exceptions, peer review findings, Group Audit findings.
- Represent Custody & Clearing Operations in relevant Control forums.
- definition of detailed project plans to further develop CC Operations governance
- work with teams including our Change Management function to drive high quality, on-time, on-budget execution of these plans
- Key senior member of the Custody & Clearing Operations leadership team
- Build strong working relationships with all stakeholders, including a collaborative environment in which this function acts as a key enabler to help others achieve their objectives
Qualifications and Skills
- Securities / Custody experience is a requirement
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience, ideally with large global banks
- Banking Operations experience of managing processes, client delivery & control compliance
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance or other relevant field
- Regulatory and control experience, with focus on operational process control & governance
- Lean / SixSigma certification or equivalent is an advantage
- Ability to understand a data flow / process lifecycle and identify areas of potential failure.
- Ability to develop & implement plans to address potential process failure points.
- Ability to design & implement effective & efficient processes & technology functionality requirements to meet client service & control objectives.
- Ability to map out project plans and update Senior Management on the status of the initiative/project.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Ability to work across multiple teams, corporate grades, cultures, experience levels - & create a collaborative environment in which we work together to achieve our objectives.
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.