VP - Property Underwriting
- Permanent, Full time
- Allied World Assurance Company Ltd
- 28 Sep 16
VP - Property Underwriting
Jobs like this involve leading the strategic and tactical development and performance of a portfolio of risks, in line with agreed business strategy and performance targets. You will spend the majority of your time leading the development and management of allocated portfolios, liaising with Clients, Cedants, Reinsurers, contributing to marketing and business development activities and providing technical knowledge and expertise. You will deal with customers and third parties on a one to one basis, although you will also work with other colleagues and be part of a team. You will use your strong strategic thinking, planning and relationship management skills to take a strategic view across and make commercial decisions regarding your allocated portfolios.
- Leading the development and agreement of strategies for the Australia property portfolio, agreeing the risk appetite, underwriting philosophy and pricing strategy in order to achieve the agreed business goals and targets
- Managing the performance of the Australia portfolio through compliance controls, accumulation monitoring, performance monitoring, cycle management and portfolio forecasting to ensure agreed targets and standards are met.
- Liaising with Reinsurers and/or internal Reinsurance teams to achieve the desired levels of cover on appropriate commercial terms and/or exploit appropriate reinsurer capacity, data and expertise to maximise profitable portfolio growth
- Ensuring long term development of the portfolio through the management of product development, based on portfolio performance, market intelligence, R&D insight, legal development and emerging risks.
- Actively contribute to the development of segment and local customer proposition and associated sales planning. Bringing knowledge and insight of the market and it's risks, proactively manage and identify opportunities to increase penetration of existing customers and or expand the business mix
- Reviewing non-standard case referrals and deliver underwriting decisions, following agreed processes at the designated authority level, in order to secure profitable business within the agreed risk appetite.
- Provide expert advice, guidance and coaching to less qualifies &/or experienced colleagues to address technical referrals and raise standards and expertise across the technical community
- Leading and or contributing to technical audits and peer review processes as required
- Ensure the internal systems and processes are in place and working effectively to support the business needs.
- Significant experience in underwriting large & complex direct and facultative property risks in Australia & South East Asia
- Experience in designing and managing multinational programs
- Experience in running and managing binders &/or facilities
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Excellent business development skill and established rapport with local network
- Thorough technical understanding of clauses, policy wordings and pricing mechanisms
- Thorough understanding of the broker network with good business planning skills
- Strong negotiation skills with a high level of customer and commercial awareness
- Excellent verbal and written English
- Competent in Microsoft Office and relevant Insurance Platforms
- Willingness to travel overseas as required
NB** whilst Sydney is the preferred location for this role, candidates located in Singapore or HK may also be considered
About Allied World:
Allied World Assurance Company Holdings, AG, through its subsidiaries and brand known as Allied World, is a global provider of innovative property, casualty and specialty insurance and reinsurance solutions offering superior client service through a global network of offices and branches. All of Allied World's rated insurance and reinsurance subsidiaries are rated A by A.M. Best Company, A by Standard & Poor's, and A2 by Moody's, and our Lloyd's Syndicate 2232 is rated A+ by Standard & Poor's and AA- by Fitch. Headquartered in Switzerland, and with over 20 offices across North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific, Allied World strives to provide exceptional service and convenience to our clients and distribution partners. We have over 1,400 employees globally, all of whom are focused on providing superior customer service and creative risk solutions, building long-term, mutually beneficial relationships. Allied World is an Equal Opportunities Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, genetic information, or disability status. Please visit www.awac.com for further information on Allied World.