VP Head of General Casualty, Asia
- Permanent, Full time
- Allied World Assurance Company Ltd
- 26 Sep 16
VP Head of General Casualty, Asia
Managing the Asia General Casualty operations (Singapore, Hong Kong and Labuan) and working with the Head of General Casualty, Asia Pacific as well as the Chief Underwriting Officer for Asia Pacific to establish the strategic direction of the department. Your responsibilities will include meeting projected profitability, GWP and expense goals, implementing proper underwriting guidelines, providing technical guidance, assistance and training to lower level associates, and marketing and servicing of existing and potential insureds.
This position can be based in Singapore or Hong Kong.
- To oversee the team's overall performance and suggest/introduce changes to the respective business model, as appropriate, to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the department.
- Referral point for deviations from the underwriting guidelines (within your respective authority)
- Referral point for Singapore and Hong Kong underwriters (within your respective authority)
- Implementation and maintenance of underwriting guidelines, systems and procedures, including oversight, management and use of policy forms and endorsements.
- Develop account pricing and underwriting recommendation for referrals that are outside authority.
- Work with Head of General Casualty, Asia Pacific to develop and maintain product forms and endorsement libraries.
- Adhere to corporate policy issuance guidelines.
- Develop and oversee the department's account pricing and rating tools
- Liaise with the actuarial department to develop premium benchmarking and pricing models as required.
- Ensure department maintains underwriting files in an orderly manner and in accordance with the underwriting guidelines
- Strategic and financial planning, budgeting and weekly premium projections
- Comply with Internal Audit and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) guidelines and introduce related internal controls, as necessary
- Maintain active role, working in concert with the Head of General Casualty, Asia Pacific, in the placement of the department's treaty.
- Management of the Asia General Casualty staff, including but not limited to, hiring and termination (in conjunction with AW HR), delegation of duties and special projects, performance and salary reviews, training and development.
- Liaise with Actuarial, Claims, IT, Accounting and other AW departments, as necessary to best manage General Casualty Hong Kong's Profit and Loss.
- Attend client/broker meetings and business development activities as required.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Degree qualified
- Significant underwriting experience in the Commercial General Insurance sector in areas including but not limited to public and products liability, comprehensive general liability, employees' compensation, work injury compensation act, product recall and umbrella liability
- Proven track record managing a profitable portfolio of complex casualty risks in the Asia Pacific region, and ample experience managing an underwriting team.
- Significant market knowledge, and established relationships with brokers and other intermediaries across the Asia Pacific region.
- Strong fundamentals in underwriting principles, pricing, knowledge of policy wordings, portfolio analysis and management, and team management.
- Self-starter - ability to think creatively and innovatively about product development and distribution
- Able to work independently while also being able to work in conjunction with other functional departments
About Allied World:
Allied World Assurance Company Holdings, AG, through its subsidiaries and brand known as Allied World, is a global provider of innovative property, casualty and specialty insurance and reinsurance solutions offering superior client service through a global network of offices and branches. All of Allied World's rated insurance and reinsurance subsidiaries are rated A by A.M. Best Company, A by Standard & Poor's, and A2 by Moody's, and our Lloyd's Syndicate 2232 is rated A+ by Standard & Poor's and AA- by Fitch. Headquartered in Switzerland, and with over 20 offices across North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific, Allied World strives to provide exceptional service and convenience to our clients and distribution partners. We have over 1,400 employees globally, all of whom are focused on providing superior customer service and creative risk solutions, building long-term, mutually beneficial relationships. Allied World is an Equal Opportunities Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, genetic information, or disability status. Please visit www.awac.com for further information on Allied World.