Senior Adviser (FSI)
- Basel, Basel-Stadt, Switzerland
- Contract, Full time
- Bank for International Settlements
- 16 Sep 17
The FSI was jointly created by the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) and the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) to assist financial sector supervisors worldwide in strengthening their financial systems. The FSI achieves its mandate by: (i) disseminating global financial standards; (ii) facilitating the adoption of sound supervisory practices; and (iii) contributing to capacity-building at supervisory authorities and central banks.
The FSI carries out these tasks through policy implementation work; outreach events; and FSI Connect, the BIS’s e-learning tool. The main purpose of the role is to contribute to the above-mentioned FSI activities with a particular focus on the banking sector.
- Leading and contributing to policy implementation work and its main output – FSI Insights (ie publications that focus on providing information and analysis on practical regulatory and supervisory issues based on experiences in different jurisdictions).
- Designing, organising and chairing FSI events (ie meetings, seminars and conferences) in Switzerland and around the world, and presenting at these events.
- Supporting the FSI Connect project by contributing to its content development/review process and by undertaking other tasks needed to keep this e-learning tool relevant and useful for the supervisory community.
- Maintaining in-depth knowledge of the work of global financial sector standard setters.
- Representing the FSI at international meetings/events and in global standard setters’ groups.
- Building relationships with central banks and other financial supervisory authorities as well as regional supervisory groups and international organisations.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- Advanced degree in finance, economics or other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of seven years’ relevant work experience in the financial sector/financial stability area of central banks/supervisory authorities; as a financial sector supervisory/regulatory expert with an international organisation; and/or in the financial industry or at a consulting firm.
- Expert knowledge of international banking/financial supervisory and/or regulatory standards.
- Strong presentation skills, including experience in delivering presentations to large and diverse audiences.
- Excellent conceptual, analytical and drafting skills.
- Ability to work accurately and independently as well as part of a team under tight deadlines.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Excellent command of English.
- An additional advantage would be experience working in an international environment as well as involvement in the implementation of standards established by a financial standard-setting body.
The BIS’s head office is located in Basel, Switzerland, with representative offices in Hong Kong SAR and Mexico City. We are able to recruit globally, regardless of nationality, and offer competitive employment packages. The BIS employs staff on both open-ended and fixed-term contracts. However, all new entrants are initially recruited on a fixed-term basis. The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff. We encourage applications from female candidates.