BlackRock Corporate Communications VP, Zurich
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Permanent, Full time
- 01 Oct 16
BlackRock Corporate Communications VP, Zurich
BlackRock is a global leader in investment management, risk management and advisory services for institutional and retail clients. At June 30, 2016, BlackRock's AUM was $4.890 trillion. BlackRock helps clients around the world meet their goals and overcome challenges with a range of products that include separate accounts, mutual funds, iShares® (exchange-traded funds), and other pooled investment vehicles. BlackRock also offers risk management, advisory and enterprise investment system services to a broad base of institutional investors through BlackRock Solutions®. As of June 30, 2016, the firm had approximately 12,700 employees in more than 30 countries and a major presence in global markets, including North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East and Africa. For additional information, please visit the Company's website at www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock_news | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
Business Unit Overview:
Global Marketing and Communications (GMC) is the central marketing and communications function of BlackRock. GMC is dedicated to providing powerful marketing and communications campaigns and solutions guided by business priorities for our iShares, Retail and Institutional businesses. GMC partners with client businesses, investment and product teams to set and deliver relevant and impactful marketing strategies appropriate for each market and client channel.
The key objective of the EMEA Corporate Communications team is to execute a communications strategy to help drive the business in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) for BlackRock, focusing on the firm's key themes (Retirement, Alternatives, Fixed Income, Multi Asset and Index/ETFs) in support of the corporate, retail, institutional and iShares businesses.
Job Purpose / Background:
The primary objective of this role is to develop and execute a communications plan to support BlackRock's businesses in Switzerland which is one of BlackRock's key growth markets in Europe. The candidate will be responsible for managing corporate communications in Switzerland and be a member of the EMEA Corporate Communications team. The candidate will need to work closely with sales and marketing to define priorities and expectations for the communications programme. The role will involve maintaining clear, strong and appropriate communication with journalists by having an established and thorough understanding of BlackRock and the iShares businesses, its products and capabilities.
In addition, the candidate will be able to proactively drive articles to position the institutional, retail and iShares businesses, products and capabilities via the appropriate spokespeople ensuring the firm's share of voice is strategically positioned within the media.
- The candidate will develop and execute an external and internal communications strategy to support BlackRock's businesses in Switzerland, which is one of BlackRock's key growth markets in Europe. The candidate will be a member of the EMEA Corporate Communications team. The role is based in our Zurich office.
- The candidate will work closely with the local leadership team, sales and marketing to define priorities and expectations for the communications programme. The role will involve maintaining clear, strong and appropriate communication with journalists by having an established and thorough understanding of BlackRock's businesses, its products and capabilities.
- In addition, the candidate will be able to proactively drive articles to position the institutional, retail and iShares businesses, products and capabilities via the appropriate spokespeople ensuring the firm's share of voice is strategically positioned within the media.
- Being an important member of a relatively small team within EMEA, the role will include working on regional/global projects to support the key business themes set out above.
- A commitment to work at all times appropriate to the demands of the business, including business travel inside Switzerland and abroad, is essential. For the purposes of attending events, a level of client interaction outside normal office hours is required.
- Be an active member of the EMEA Corporate Communications team working closely with team members in London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Milan, New York and other locations to plan and conduct media relations activities that build greater knowledge and recognition of the firm's brand and the retail, institutional and iShares business.
- Develop strong internal relationships with key stakeholders within BlackRock's institutional, retail and iShares businesses (country management, sales, marketing, portfolio management, product development, capital markets, legal and compliance).
- Work effectively with senior management and marketing professionals in Switzerland sharing information and aligning PR activity according to the strategic and tactical plans as directed by the business.
- Target a defined list of core journalists and publications creating and maintaining a process for regular outreach to the media to ensure BlackRock's retail, institutional and iShares businesses are perceived by journalists as thought leaders on a broad range of topics and themes.
- Manage the handling of all media enquiries in a timely and efficient manner.
- Coordinate the distribution and translation of a full range of written materials including press releases, by-lined articles and reports relating to the business, tailoring as appropriate according to individual country nuances relating to brand, product and capability.
- Proactively and reactively arrange and facilitate media interviews with trained spokespeople across the firm, ensuring the topic is defined and the spokesperson is briefed in advance with the relevant key messages.
- Develop, foster and maintain strong working relationships with news media (print/broadcast/web) including business/financial media, trade and national outlets.
- Manage the day to activity of the Swiss PR agency
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of media events, roundtables, press conferences and educational seminars.
- Develop a deep knowledge of BlackRock and iShares services and products.
- Keep the businesses informed on the efficiency and effectiveness of the communications strategy and plans.
Knowledge / Experience:
- The ideal candidate will have solid experience in corporate or agency financial Corporate Communications.
- A strong and demonstrable background in financial services PR working across multiple markets and/or channels.
- Able to operate in a fast-paced environment with flexibility in regards to changes in strategy and project plans.
- The candidate will be enthusiastic, self-motivated and capable of engaging in high level dialogue with senior executives.
- The ability to build strong relationships with the business, with journalists and within the global communications team will be essential.
- Knowledge of local Swiss (and ideally also German) media is essential.
- Strong experience in brand and reputation management is critical to this role given the size and scale of BlackRock in the marketplace. Strategic and creative thinking are required.
- Project management skills, including an ability to move projects forward in a complex environment.
- Ability to integrate input from multiple stakeholders while maintaining project schedules.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and exceptional writing ability a must.
- Fluent English and German required, proficiency in French and/or Italian would be advantageous.
- Knowledge and comfort of social media would be ideal.