- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Pro Bono Economics
- 01 Sep 17
Chief Economist, Pro Bono Economics (PBE)
Pro Bono Economics (PBE) is a charity which helps other charities and social enterprises to understand and improve their impact and value by harnessing the skills of expert volunteer economists.
We are looking for an experienced economist who will lead the development of economics content to drive this strategy. Reporting to the CEO and working closely with the Board of Trustees and Patrons, the individual we seek is someone who has a confident grasp of the practical application of economics, and can apply this effectively within the charity and social investment space, whilst maintaining meticulously high standards.
This person will also have a public facing role, inspiring, expanding and nurturing our pool of volunteer economists, representing our economic and analytical content to a wide range of external stakeholders, and supporting the CEO and wider team on fundraising, policy and advocacy work.
- The Chief Economist will have a central role in crafting, implementing and evaluating the economics content of our work. They will work closely with the Chief Executive and the Board to preserve and enhance PBE’s reputation for undertaking rigorous, robust and transparent economic studies, using our insights into economics and impact to influence policy and practice in the charity sector.
- Reporting to the PBE CEO and the Board, the Chief Economist will be responsible for managing the quality of the output from the team of Economic Associates, shaping our core economics capability, including supervising quality standards on individual projects, and helping synthesize this work to provide insights around our key themes. These include education, employment, mental health and resilience and complex needs.
- The Director of Services (DOS) leads on PBE service delivery drawing on the skills of volunteers and leading the process of employer engagement and management. The Chief Economist role will support and inform this process, ensuring that PBE has powerful sponsorship of its volunteering model and high quality engagement with volunteers and their employers, as well as expanding, inspiring and nurturing PBE pool of volunteer economists.
- The role will consider how economics disciplines and tools can support our strategic thrust to promote wellbeing with focus on the supporting themes of education, employability, mental health and resilience and complex needs. Experience of both the theory and practical application of labour, health or housing related economic policy would be useful in this respect.
- This role will include public facing activity, with key figures and organisations in the economics community to; build thought leadership, encourage employee engagement and funding support and collaborate in developing methodologies and influencing policy, drawing on the common themes and lessons from our individual projects.
- There is an opportunity to spearhead the knowledge management, development and dissemination from individual projects and to use this for thought leadership work on the key strategic themes (employment, education mental health and complex needs) as well as cross cutting themes including the value of skills based volunteering and the future shape of impact investment.
Key Selection Criteria
- A high performing economist with at least 10 years’ experience of the practical application for economics
- Demonstrate a strong empathy with Pro Bono Economics values and culture
- Management skills – experience of leading and managing a distributed team or division
- Consultancy skills – track record of pitching, scoping and delivering consultancy projects and possess the associated project management/delivery skills
- A spokesperson who can bring, build and exercise a relevant network to promote and market Pro Bono Economics across multiple platforms
- Ambitious for the organisation to deliver its growth agenda and use its resources to maximum effect
Reporting Lines and Resources
The Chief Economist will report to the CEO, working closely with the Director of Services, and drawing upon the skills and talents of economics professionals on the Board, PBE’s Patrons and wider network