Compliance Advisory Director
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- BNY Mellon
- 29 Sep 16
Compliance Advisory Director
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As one of the world's leading investment management organizations and one of the top U.S. wealth managers, BNY Mellon Investment Management combines agility, insight and scale to create and deliver strategies and solutions to address our clients' needs. Encompassing BNY Mellon's investment management firms, wealth management organization and global distribution teams, we draw on deep expertise to collaborate with clients and tailor our best ideas and resources to meet their specific needs. We pride ourselves on providing dedicated service through our network of global professionals who have a deep understanding of local requirements. With our extensive experience in anticipating and responding to the investment and financial needs of the world's governments, pension plan sponsors, corporations, foundations, endowments, advisors, intermediaries, individuals and families, and family offices, BNY Mellon Investment Management is dedicated to helping clients reach their goals.
Risk and Compliance provide risk and compliance services across all BNY Mellon businesses including the following groups: Risk Management, Compliance, Global Corporate Security, Information Risk Management and Global Business Continuity. Risk Management oversees and delivers risk services and ensures new business risks are reviewed and approved. Risk Management is organized through Chief Risk Offices for each core business and critical operation. Compliance helps ensure BNY Mellon's businesses maintain appropriate processes to comply with applicable laws, regulations, BNY Mellon policies and ethics. In EMEA, Compliance is split into four pillars; Advisory, Monitoring, Financial Crime and Regulatory Change. Advisory provide the second line of defence on compliance issues for all of the lines of business in EMEA, assisting the business through regulatory requirements, best practices and regulatory relationships.
Job Purpose: (What the job role involves)
The Senior UK Compliance Manager is required to take a leading role in supporting BNY Mellon remaining compliant with regulatory requirements and corporate compliance policies. The role holder will play a leading role in the day-to-day running of the Compliance Advisory team and management of compliance advisory activities, in particular as they relate to Investment Services in the UK, including Broker Dealer Services, Corporate Treasury, Depositary Receipts and Treasury Services. Role holder will act as a key partner to 1 st line senior management and 2 nd /3 rd line stakeholders. Liaises with regulatory authorities and represents Compliance at internal legal entity/governance forums and external meetings as required.
The role may require input across other BNY Mellon operations where business is outsourced. Therefore, the jobholder should be prepared to travel.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
· Provide accurate and timely technical advice and guidance to business/business partner colleagues on regulatory compliance issues.
· Identify and analyse emerging Compliance risks and trends. Provide feedback and recommendations to other Compliance and Business colleagues on how to mitigate these risks. Provide strategic direction to the work of the Advisory Compliance team.
· Manage a team of Compliance professionals ensuring the work of the team is produced to a consistently high standard, is relevant and timely.
· Represent Compliance within business driven projects. Provide constructive challenge to help ensure that BNY Mellon's regulatory obligations are taken account of within the project.
· Where required act as liaison between the business and the regulators. Ensure that internal colleagues are appropriately prepared for discussions with external regulators.
· Represent BNY Mellon at relevant industry events/ forums.
· Participate in or lead internal business/governance meetings and represent BNY Mellon externally as required. Ensure that any reports required for those meetings are provided in a timely manner and are focused and relevant to the meeting topic. Provide constructive challenge within meetings regarding relevant regulatory requirements.
· Participating in or leading the delivery of Compliance related training.
· Deputising for the Head of Advisory Compliance where required.
· Where required participate in compliance monitoring reviews. This is likely to comprise sharing of information with Compliance Monitoring colleagues regarding the business lines and/or regulatory themes they are planning to review.
· Represent Compliance at the regular board and committee meetings of UK legal entities as required. Ensure that any reports required for those meetings are provided in a timely manner and are focused and relevant to the meeting topic. Provide constructive challenge.
- Work with Regulatory Change colleagues to advise and cascade on any new regulatory requirements, including business/legal entity implementation
- As above
Requirements; (what we are looking for)
- Degree level qualification
- Industry compliance qualifications/legal qualifications
- Ideally previous experience leading a Compliance/legal function.
Technical Competence & Experience:
- Relevant technical knowledge of UK/EMEA prudential and conduct regulatory framework (CRD IV, MIFID II, PSD II, Conduct Risk agenda etc.).
- At least 10 years relevant compliance (or risk/legal) experience.
- Relevant custody/wholesale banking experience would be a distinct advantage
- Excellent knowledge of the local regulatory environment, ongoing regulatory initiatives which impact the business lines. Previous experience within a regulator would be an advantage.
- Excellent understanding of the investment services industry
- Good report writing and presentation skills
- Focused attitude to work with the ability to meet deadlines while ensuring attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- An ability to provide strategic leadership within the immediate team and wider Compliance group.
- An ability to provide effective and constructive challenge.
Key Competencies and skills:
- Strong analytical skills, detail focussed; ability to identify patterns or connections between situations that are not obviously related and to determine key underlying issues in complex situations.
- Problem solving: ability to build a logical approach to resolve problems or manage the situation at hand by drawing on own knowledge and experience and calling on other references and resources as necessary.
- Ability to influence across peer groups;
- Proven capability of working in a matrix environment and reporting structure;
- Proven staff management experience
- Ability to think pragmatically and proactively suggest solutions;
- Team player and flexible in a fast paced environment. Strong relationship management skills;
- Articulate and able to represent UK/EMEA Compliance to senior business personnel and external stakeholders with confidence.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Internal Jobcode: 50341
Requisition Number: 1610728