- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Goldman Sachs International
- 11 Apr 17
Goldman Sachs is a meritocracy where you will be given all the tools to help you develop. At Goldman Sachs, you will have access to excellent training programmes designed to improve multiple facets of your skills portfolio. Our in-house training programme,
‘Goldman Sachs University’ offers a comprehensive series of courses that you will have access to as your career progresses.
Goldman Sachs University has an impressive catalogue of courses which span technical, business and leadership skills training.
In order to help you navigate the organisation, you will be given a mentor from outside of your immediate department. This person
will be positioned to provide you with objective advice and guidance on your career development.
Our team of engineers builds solutions to the most complex problems. We develop cutting-edge systems and processes that form
the core of our key business and enable transactions to move in milliseconds. We provide real-time access to critical deal
information and crunch billions of data points each day to inform firm-wide market insights and strategies. Team members have the
opportunity to work at the forefront of technology innovation alongside industry leaders and make significant contributions to the
The Structured Product Group (SPG) business offers institutional and hedge fund clients products which are optimal with respect to
tax, balance sheet and funding. Business revenues come from commissions, financing and dividends through the trading of CFD
and Equity Swap OTC instruments alongside futures, ETFs and structured products. The SPG Trading Tech Team is a front office
team focused on developing a global platform that will support the SPG business as well as developing tailored business
technology solutions driven by desk requirements. The role involves working closely with the trading desk and quant teams across
a number of functions including execution, risk management and position keeping, trade flows, trade booking and inventory
The role is for a key analyst developer position within the SPG Trading Tech team. The role requires strong analytical skills as well
as excellent programming skills.
We value internal mobility. The chance to take on new challenges in the firm over time will ensure that you remain stimulated and
will help in your continued professional and personal development.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
This is an excellent opportunity to learn about the Structured Products Group (SPG) business and the products traded. Technology
is very close to the business with a presence on the trading floor, so the learning opportunities are immense. You will develop both
technical and non-technical skills through a combination of challenging projects in a real-time distributed system, informal on the job
mentoring and formal development in the form of the GS University career development programme.
As part of a global technology team there will be exposure and opportunities to contribute to businesses and technology teams in
other regions. You will work in a team of highly capable, experienced developers which encourages open discussion and is
focussed on the delivery of robust, reliable software. This position also provides the opportunity to progress to a leadership role.
In this role the successful candidate will:
• Design, develop, test and document highly reliable new applications, tools and workflows to support new revenue opportunities,
trader efficiency and associated infrastructure, in a structured, disciplined but fast-moving environment.
• Form strong client relationships with traders (from Analyst to Managing Director level), operations and other key users
• Be comfortable working with several different technology platforms deployed within the Derivatives business including OO
• Develop within a controlled process including design and code reviews.
• Maintain the stability and integrity of the system while suggesting improvements and optimisations.
• Assist in the diagnosis and resolution of support incidents.
• Develop a good understanding of the business and the products traded.
• Be a strong team player, highly motivated, keen to take on responsibility, able to work independently and successfully manage
and maintain a high workload in a busy environment.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE WE’RE LOOKING FOR
• A minimum of 2 years technology experience in a commercial environment
• Proven development skills (preferably core Java, C++ or other OO technology)
• Prior experience working with distributed systems
• Solid object oriented design and programming skills, with ability to express design in UML
• Solid analytical skills and appreciation of technical risk
• SQL and Database skills, ideally Sybase
• Highly motivated, pro-active and capable of working under pressure without compromising development processes
• Strong, committed and reliable team player and strong communicator, able to take direction but also willing to contribute to
discussions on design and strategy
• Possess client-facing skills to be able to deal with and form good relationships with the business and other technology groups,
both from a support and day to day project work perspective
• Have the discipline and interpersonal skills to work well in a truly global environment, complementing teams in other locations
• Experience with UNIX/LINUX development environments
• Automated testing tools (e.g. JUnit/NUnit)
• Familiarity with messaging architectures
• Previous front office experience, preferably with direct interaction with a trading desk
• Knowledge of Synthetic Products: Contracts for Difference, Equity Swaps
• Knowledge of equities products: Futures, ETFs, Indices
• Strong commercial awareness and desire to solve business problems using technology