Market Surveillance & Conduct Officer
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- BGC Partners
- 19 Sep 16
To support the BGC’s Compliance function through the ongoing monitoring and surveillance of transactions to identify, manage and report potential incidents of market abuse, money laundering and other improper activity. To keep updated and provide analysis on new regulations and developments.
- Perform daily trade surveillance activities for market abuse and AML transaction profiling.
- Maintain log of identified market abuse issues and other suspicious transactions.
- Escalate issues to the Market Surveillance & Conduct Manager.
- Support investigations of suspicious behaviour by providing expert advice and technical assistance.
- Monitor for Conduct Risk issues, specifically the risk of harm to client interests, market integrity and/or competition in financial markets due to inappropriate practices or behaviours across the firm.
- Advise and make recommendations for enhancements to existing processes and develop new processes for identifying Market Abuse Risk in line with new Regulatory change.
- Provide analysis of regulation in relation to the core activities.
- Act as subject matter expert in relation to primary areas of responsibility.
- Take on such roles and responsibilities as are required from time to time to contribute to the successful operation of the Compliance function within the BGC/GFI group.
- Assisting and work with the other compliance teams as required.
Policies and Procedures
- Provide input into and assist with the drafting of relevant Compliance policies and procedures.
Key contacts/working relationships
- Support the Market Surveillance & Conduct Manager and Head of Compliance/MLRO in the investigation of suspicious behaviour.
- Liaise with other Compliance team members to ensure that a suitably coordinated approach to the monitoring and surveillance function is adopted.
- Work with the business in order to investigate issues identified.
- Appropriate escalation of significant regulatory issues according to internal procedures.
- Share information as appropriate with other members of the Compliance department.
Key outputs and key performance indicators
- Production of detailed log of identified money laundering, market abuse issues and improper activity.
- Production of escalation reports to notify the Market Surveillance & Conduct Manager and Head of Compliance/MLRO of issues.
- Achieve greater detection of potential money laundering, market abuse issues and suspicious transactions.
- Analysis and recommendations in relation to new or existing regulations.
- Positive contribution to the Compliance department.
Skills / experience required:
- Previous experience of transaction surveillance is essential.
- Previous experience of using an automated Market Abuse System would be preferable.
- Understanding of the FCA handbooks and other relevant regulations, and the ability to apply this knowledge in a commercial environment. Good knowledge of market abuse regulations would be preferable.
- Understanding of the general activities and functions of a broker dealer.
- Knowledge of trading systems advantageous (e.g. Fidessa, Bloomberg, Reuters etc.)
- Knowledge of automated Market Abuse system advantageous (Apama, Smarts, Actimize, B-Next etc.)
- Knowledge of Compliance phone recording systems advantageous.
- Excellent PC skills including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate with all areas of the business including other departments and Senior Management.
- Strong technical knowledge, commercial awareness and analytical skills.
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Good attention to detail and the ability to spot any abnormalities or anomalies.