Prime Brokerage Controller
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 20 Sep 17
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
The Financial Control Group (FCG) is responsible for overseeing the accounting, financial and regulatory reporting for the Firm. FCG prepares external financial reports for public filings and regulators. For internal reporting FCG, along with Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA), summarizes, plans and forecasts the organization’s financial position, including income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of future revenues, expenses and earnings. FCG is comprised of Business Unit Controllers, Infrastructure Controllers, Accounting, Regulatory and Reporting groups, and Valuation Review.
The Prime Brokerage (PB) Controller team supports the PB business which houses Morgan Stanley’s Delta One Structured Products (DSP) and client Prime Brokerage businesses. The Tax Risk team operates as a functionalised sub-group within the PB Controller team and has responsibility for the monitoring, reconciliation and control of dividend withholding tax and financial transaction taxes.
· Providing ownership and guardianship of the books and records including daily and monthly Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet sign offs and Regulatory submissions
· Supporting and working with the Business Unit (BU), Product Controllers, Tax, Legal and Operations on Tax initiatives
· Preparation of monthly reporting for the BU and global senior management
· Reviewing and advising the BU on new trading structures
· Reducing the team’s risk profile by steering system requirements, implementing additional controls and escalation
· Highly numerate
· Detail oriented and well organised
· Strong communication skills
· Analytical mind-set and strong problem solving skills
· Strong desire and capacity to learn with a tenacious mentality
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple deliverables and maintain focus under pressure
· Understanding of both IFRS and US GAAP
· No specific tax knowledge is required
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.