Research Analyst- Junior Talent Program
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Société Générale - UK
- 18 Sep 17
Research Analyst, Junior Talent Program
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like “hard work” and “dedication” together with “community” and “respect” has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
Description of the Business Line or Department
More than 200 analysts, strategists and economists combining their expertise into a cross-asset approach: analysis of the impact of major events on different asset classes, assessment of the links between asset classes, and strategic synthesis of this key information to provide an integrated view.
We benefit from a global coverage thanks to Societe Generale local networks in Eastern Europe (Moscow, Bucarest, Warsaw and Prague), the strengthening of our presence in the US, and in Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo), together with our established UK and Western European base.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
Work closely with Commodity team globally on key projects. Locally work with Robin Bhar, David Schenck but also Mark Keenan (based in Singapore) and Michael Haigh (NY) on commodity research projects.
Such projects would vary from database maintenance, adhoc presentation tasks (graphs, slides), development of the digital research franchise, assistance in the development of models and automating models.
This role will involve an initial 12 month period working within our Commodity research team, followed by a move into a Commodity specific business line.
Summary of responsibilities
• Work closely with Robin Bhar, David Schenck and Mark Keenan and Michael Haigh on commodity research projects. Such projects would vary from the maintenance of data bases, charts & slides to more advanced ad hoc tasks. Provide support for the commodity compass publication – updating models and developing new models.
• Possible examples of ad hoc projects: Building analytical tools for the fundamental analysis of commodity markets, back-testing of trading signals and market patterns.
• Digitialization of the research franchise, model automation and SGMarkets Analytics developments
• The role will involve interaction with MARK sales people and traders.
• Some of the work done is likely to be publised to external clients; and this may include written work.
• Team-work as well as independent thinking and a pro-active attitude are required.
• A very high standard of work and attention to detail is expected.
• The role has no managerial responsibilites.
• There will be a limited delegation of responsibility. For example, he will be responsible for the correct running of models, optimisations, data bases. The delegation is limited in that his output will be checked on a daily basis by a senior team member (mainly Mark Keenan, David Schenck and Robin Bhar).
• Will be sitting next to David Schenck and Robin Bhar which makes control and feedback easy and frequent.
Level of autonomy and authority
• The role involves some autonomy within the broad objectives of each research project. However, his work output will be checked on a daily basis by the relevant senior team member.
• xxx will be sitting next to David Schenck and Robin Bhar which makes control and feedback easy and frequent.
• Communications skills (both verbal and written)
• Regulatory skills
• Autonomy and initiative
• Proficiency with data-analysis tools (Excel, VBA, possibly Python or R)
• Understanding database principales
• Analytical skills
• Ability to work under time constraints
• Ability to question and review critically other people's work
• Presentational skills (powerpoint, graphing)
• Digital proficiency
Prior experience in market finance
University level degree in finance, economics, maths/engineering
If you feel you have the required experience and qualifications, then please apply to the SG Resourcing Team, and we will manage your application. At Societe Generale, we believe our people are our strength and are core to the success of our business. As such, we search for, recruit and appoint the best available person on the basis of aptitude and ability, regardless of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or gender reassignment.