Supervisor, Government Sanctions and Interdiction
Supervisor, Government Sanctions and InterdictionWestern Union Careers: Work That Makes A Difference
At Western Union, you can build a career doing work that makes a difference! We are disrupting the cross-border money transfer industry by developing new technologies and partnerships. Watch our recruiting video to get introduced to WU, and visit westernunion.com/careers to learn more!
We didn't become the worldwide leader in money movement services overnight. The employees of Western Union have been the backbone of our innovative spirit-and continued success-since our beginnings in 1851. And it's a proud tradition that continues today with the next dedicated, enterprising individual that joins our team-hopefully, you.
Right now, we are seeking a Supervisor, Government Sanctions and Interdiction to support Western Union Business Solutions ('WUBS'). WUBS is the world's leading foreign exchange and international business payments company. Through its subsidiaries and branches, WUBS operates in the Americas, Asia, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Australia. It offers business-to-business payment services and solutions, and helps clients manage their currency exposure. The company currently services over 40,000 clients around the world and processes more than $40 billion payments annually to more than 1 million beneficiaries. Your role "The Supervisor, Government Sanctions and Interdiction", will be responsible for supervising key components of the day-to-day operation of WUBS' Government Sanctions and Interdiction program.
In this role, you will be part of Western Union's Global Sanctions and Interdiction team, which has responsibility for the development and implementation of the company's strategy, controls, policies, and procedures related to compliance with government sanctions rules and regulations, and implementation of the company's list screening processes.
In addition, you will:
- Supervise the review of escalated potential sanctions list matches
- Conduct due diligence on certain parties with whom Western Union is doing business to identify potential sanctions issues
- Evaluate and take appropriate action with respect to complex sanctions and interdiction issues escalated by the company's AML Operations team
- Develop and ensure proper implementation of company sanctions and interdiction policies and procedures
- Use and manage list screening and sanctions compliance software and technology
- Develop the appropriate metrics to measure the quality and effectiveness of the WUBS Sanctions and Interdiction program
- Develop and manage relationships with WUBS business owners, AML operations personnel, and other key stakeholders within and outside the company
- Provide training and guidance to staff within the department
- Maintain current desk procedures
- Build relationships across cultures and have a global mindset
- Plan for and to anticipate issues before they occur, and react professionally and promptly to emerging issues while balancing compliance priorities
- Report to the Manager, WUBS Government Sanctions and Interdiction.
- Detailed understanding of the sanctions laws, regulations, resolutions, and orders issued and implemented by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the United Nations, the European Union, and other regulatory agencies or bodies
- Substantive experience complying with government sanctions reporting and licensing rules
- Substantive understanding of retail/commercial financial products/services, including cross border payment practices
- Familiarity with anti-money laundering regulations applicable to the banking/money services/financial services industry
- Experience working with and evaluating complex list processing and sanctions compliance technology solutions
- Solid foundation in assessing and implementing industry best practices for regulatory compliance
- 2 + years of experience working in an organization with multiple operational locations
- Proven track record of complex problem solving and decision-making ability
- Strong analytical skills
- Effective leader and team player
- Strong and action-oriented manager of people and projects, who can identify objectives, build consensus, and obtain results
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Fluency in English required
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field required; advanced degree in relevant field a plus.
With a 160-year history of connecting people when it matters most, Western Union continues to shape the world in which we live. WU offers one of the easiest ways for families and friends to send money and stay connected almost anywhere in the world. We take pride in being close to our consumers. Together with our Agents, we speak our consumers' languages and live in our consumers' neighborhoods. As a result, our Agents and employees are more like ambassadors. They are ambassadors of trust. Ambassadors of responsibility. And ambassadors of hope. They are the living, breathing manifestation of who we are as a company and reflect the WU behaviors: Inspired. Connected. Driven. Game-Changer. Responsible. EOE/AA Women, Minorities, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, veteran status, disability or other protected category.