BlackRock Balance Sheet & Capital Management
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 25 Sep 16
BlackRock Balance Sheet & Capital Management
Through its BlackRock Solutions ("BRS") division, the firm offers its Aladdin® enterprise investment management and risk system, risk management, advisory, and other outsourcing services. Over $14 trillion of exposures are currently processed through the Aladdin® platform, which serves as the investment system for BlackRock as well as for a large number of sophisticated institutional investors around the world. BlackRock's offerings include comprehensive risk reporting along with investment-oriented analytics ; and other middle and back office outsourcing and investment accounting services. The Aladdin® platform is the key to our ability to assimilate and analyze large, complex data risk across a vast array of investment holdings. The institutional infrastructure within BRS is truly unique, representing tremendous breadth and global scale in key functions such as data boarding and data integrity verification; financial modelling; financial analyis; and a wide range of analytical support services.
BlackRock's Advisory Business
BlackRock's Financial Markets Advisory ("FMA") group provides counsel to financial institutions, regulators, and government entities on their most critical and often most complex financial issues. The broad set of capabilties within FMA seeks to combine asset expertise and capital markets knowledge with practical, results-oriented consulting and advisory skills. . The group typically works with senior management at top financial institutions, official institutions and market intermediaries and ultilities around the globe, with a focus on their balance sheet and capital markets exposures as well as a wide range of other strategic and operational challenges.
The FMA group was established in 2008, within BRS, to address the unique challenges that arose globally as a consequence of the financial crisis. Since its founding, FMA has completed over 400 assignments for over 190 unique clients in 25 countries. The FMA team is regularly called upon to address our clients' most unique challenges. FMA uses financial, experiential, educational and promotional incentives to attract, retain and develop some of BlackRock's most outstanding talent. We presently conduct our activities through over 220 professionals located globally, principally in New York, London and Gurgaon, India. As part of BRS, the FMA group operates behind an informational barrier separating it from the firm's traditional portfolio management activities. This creates a conflict-avoidant environment and further serves to protect client data and proprietary information.
In the current environment, our clients are confronted with a diverse array of issues that challenge traditional operating strategies and processes and require creative thought leadership and advice. These challenges will necessarily require an advanced degree of data driven analysis and insight that we believe is a differentiator going forward. Thematic drivers including complex capital markets and macroeconomic conditions; enhanced global, local and cross-border financial sector regulation; and the advent of financial technology and digitization are highlighting the need for financial institutions to significantly evolve business practices.
We are seeking a senior professional to spearhead the further development of our Balance Sheet and Capital Management vertical within our US Financial Services practice area. Our Financial Services practice focuses on a wide range of client sectors, including banks and other depositories; insurance; asset and wealth management; non-bank financials; mortgage and other loan originators and servicers; as well as both traditional and e-commerce specialty finance and fin-tech providers. The ideal candidate would have a comprehensive working knowledge of capital, leverage and liquidity issues facing financial institutions, and how regulated entities are responding to guidance pertaining to asset/liability management and core risk management activities.
- Practice Area Platform Design and Development
- Collaborate with BlackRock advisory business senior management to expand platform and go-to-market strategy for Balance Sheet and Capital management services across the range of financial sector client types with the group's focus
- Work in close partnership with adjacent business functions to develop, refine and manage all dimensions of the vertical, ensuring that it has the tools and subject matter expertise needed to execute on products and services and to fulfill client needs
- Provide input and recommendations to Practice Area strategy and development as to target market; competitive niches and economic parameters for services
- Coordinate and support Practice Area outreach in targeted areas, coordinating with larger marketing strategy
- Establish key sector themes and isolate client demand contributors to commercial momentum
- Client Outreach, Business Development and Project Execution
- Working with group Business Development Function, outline initial framework for formal business development, key prospecting list and client outreach strategy
- Support additional client outreach and relationship development within adjacent sub-sectors
- Nurture select existing clients in order to drive further business penetration
- Play a key role in client project execution, providing necessary domain expertise, in concert with execution teams comprised of various generalist and specialist resources
- Product and Platform Development
- Oversee idea generation and incubation of Balance Sheet and Capital management advisory products, services and platform
- Drive content creation and unique and differentiated data and analytical techniques in collaboration with the Markets & Analytics function
- Support adjacent project efforts as a means of further product refinement
- Knowledge Leadership and Content Generation
- Liaise with Strategy and Research Functions to support refinement of pre-existing knowledge base and extension of content creation capabilities, where necessary and applicable
- Immerse sufficiently in project content as needed to support client fulfillment and to understand
- Serve as knowledge leader on critical elements of Balance Sheet and Capital management including Balance Sheet optimization, financial strategy, capital planning, funding strategy, ALM and risk modeling trends (credit, market, liquidity, operational)
- Drive thought leadership and contribute significantly to our output and public profile
- Staffing and Resources
- Identify near-term domain expertise, human resource and talent development needs, including prospective external partners and vendors, to support practice area launch strategy
- Provide team leadership, oversight of content development and career management and coaching to professionals on the team
- Over 15 years of experience in Balance Sheet and Capital management matters, involving a range of client and organizational types, having both public and private sector dimensions
- Specific experience in complex Balance Sheet and Capital management mandates, including for Capital Markets businesses, on market risk, liquidity risk, modeling, Balance Sheet optimization, capital planning, funding strategy, ALM, etc.
- Understanding of as wide a range as possible of financial service sectors for US and global enterprises in particular on risk and regulatory issues, including enterprise risk management regulatory advice and balance sheet and capital management with a clear emphasis on the latter
- Acumen and capability in leading discussions with C-suite executives with a demonstrated capability of dealing within high-level business context
- Show an established track record of commercial accomplishments in complex sector-specific products and services
- Leads and positions groups to win as teams, works collaboratively across group functions to win business and deliver projects
- Ability to attract, retain and motivate top talent, and to establish a "team" camaraderie / identity
- Action-oriented and not afraid to roll up sleeves; mentors and coaches resources along the way; leads by example
- Visible in financial services industry and known to clients as thought leader and trusted advisor on Balance Sheet and Capital management matters; continually focused on expanding network and leveraging connections
- Demonstrated, established client connections through relevant and complimentary prior experience
- Comfortable in front of executive-level decision makers, experienced in relationship-based selling, with strong written and oral presentation skills
- Able to identify industry trends and opportunities, advise client executives with credibility, develop points of view and thought leadership
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.