BlackRock Client Solutions – Manager Research
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 01 Oct 16
BlackRock Client Solutions – Manager Research
I. ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW
A. Introduction to BlackRock Solutions
Through its BlackRock Solutions ("BRS") division, the firm offers its Aladdin® enterprise investment management and risk system, risk management, advisory, and other outsourcing services. Over $15 trillion of exposures are currently processed through the Aladdin® platform, which serves as the investment system for BlackRock as well as for a large number of sophisticated institutional investors around the world. BlackRock's offerings include comprehensive risk reporting along with investment-oriented analytics and other middle and back office outsourcing and investment accounting services. The Aladdin® platform is the key to our ability to assimilate and analyze large, complex data risk across a vast array of investment holdings. The institutional infrastructure within BRS is truly unique, representing tremendous breadth and global scale in key functions such as data boarding and data integrity verification, financial modelling, financial and risk analysis and a wide range of analytical support services.
B. Introduction to BlackRock's Client Solutions Business
BlackRock's Client Solutions ("CS") team is comprised of over 130 professionals globally that provide complex solutions support for the Firm's largest institutional clients. Client Solutions serves over 400 clients comprising over $350 billion of AUM.
Client Solutions' mission encompasses acting as the clearinghouse for complex client inquiry, supporting clients with custom analytics, promoting solutions/objective-based client engagement, fulfilling client needs on a product-agnostic basis and providing thought leadership across a range of topics with a focus on long term strategic decision-making.
The Client Solutions team has a broad set of investment experience across fixed income, equity, alternatives and a wide range of specialized investment strategies which support its role in managing complex solutions and providing strategy, thought leadership and idea generation for clients and their consultants.
The Client Solutions team uses on-team resources in addition to the full breadth of BlackRock's investment capabilities across Alpha, Beta, Multi-Asset, Alternatives and Trading & Liquidity Strategies in order to deliver outcome-oriented investing solutions that typically incorporate liabilities, capital and other drivers of investment strategy.
II. POSITION OVERVIEW
Client Solutions is seeking an experienced senior candidate to join the global Manager Research team at Director level and lead the team of New York based professionals.
Manager research is an integral and key part of Client Solutions' offering. The individual is expected to play a key role in enhancing the research capability in a number of ways. He/she is expected to lead a team of professionals and develop talent; in addition to conducting manager searches, the individual will be driving consistency of the research process and will have appropriate oversight of investment recommendations. Research responsibilities within the team are organized by asset class and by region. As such the successful candidate will participate in and oversee the selection and monitoring of US equity, fixed income and selected alternative investment strategies. With the latter being a key area of focus.
The individual will be responsible for maintaining a strong, consistently rated line-up of investment strategies and managers in asset classes covered by the New York based professionals of the team. The rationale for recommending each of the managers covered by the team should be clearly articulated and supported by well documented research, both qualitative and quantitative in nature. To ensure that our clients invest at the most competitive terms and conditions with all managers in their portfolios, the successful candidate will lead negotiations with the group of managers covered from New York.
The individual will ensure the appropriate connectivity and consistency with all relevant global processes and best practices. An ability to work in a complex global organization and effectively leverage resources outside of the immediate team is key to success in the role.
The successful candidate will be able to articulate investment processes and recommendations in a clear and structured fashion.
III. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working closely with Global Team Head and the OCIO leadership, develop and enhance the Manager Research capability with particular focus on the consistent application of processes and oversight
- Lead the New York based professionals of the global manager research team and develop talent
- Coordinate and conduct primary, quantitative and qualitative research of investment opportunities and strategies with a focus on US equity, fixed income and private market strategies but extending into other asset classes depending on client needs
- Independently perform due diligence on strategies, investment teams and asset management firms; lead meetings to interview investment professionals - including on-site - to assess their skills, the quality of their investment strategy and their ability to consistently add alpha above their respective benchmarks
- Document the selection, monitoring and due diligence process and make well-researched recommendations to address specific client portfolio needs in the most effective way
- Analyze portfolios of managers and making recommendations with regard to manager sizing within portfolios and manager replacement or retention
- Lead negotiations of terms, conditions and mandate specifications of separately managed accounts
- Participate in presentations to prospective and existing clients
- The candidate should have demonstrated experience of leading and developing high performing teams
- The successful candidate will have at least 10 years' experience conducting investment manager research across a variety of asset classes
- Specific experience in less liquid, private market strategies is strongly preferred
- Ability to assess how different managers interact in the total client portfolio
- A structured process-driven approach to manager research is a must; evidence of ability to roll-out and enhance processes is key
- A strong ability to articulate processes and investment recommendations
- Comprehensive knowledge of investment management industry and a relevant list of industry contacts
- Experience at a bank, asset management firm or fund platform and direct investment/portfolio management experience are desirable
- Proven ability to work in complex global organization and leverage effectively resources outside immediate team
- Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, mathematics/statistics, or a related field
- MBA/CFA preferred