BlackRock Engagement Manager, VP
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 28 Sep 16
BlackRock Engagement Manager, VP
Introduction to BlackRock Solutions:
Through its BlackRock Solutions ("BRS") division, the firm offers its strategic and balance sheet advisory, risk solution, Aladdin® enterprise investment management and risk system, and other outsourcing services. BRS combines advisory and analytical competencies with market and industry expertise to offer a range of global capabilities designed to provide our clients with balance sheet, capital markets and regulatory solutions. The foundation of this business is based in our Aladdin platform, which serves as the investment system for BlackRock as well as for a large number of sophisticated institutional investors around the world, and processes over $14 trillion of exposures on a daily basis. BlackRock's Aladdin offerings include comprehensive risk reporting along with investment-oriented analytics; and other middle and back office outsourcing and investment accounting services. The Aladdin® platform is the key to our ability to assimilate and analyze large, complex data risk across a vast array of investment holdings. The institutional infrastructure within BRS is truly unique, representing tremendous breadth and global scale in key functions such as data boarding and data integrity verification; financial modelling; financial analysis; and a wide range of analytical support services.
Introduction to the BlackRock's Advisory Business:
BlackRock's Financial Markets Advisory ("FMA") group provides counsel to financial institutions, regulators, and government entities on their most critical and often most complex financial issues. The broad set of capabilities within FMA seeks to combine asset expertise and capital markets knowledge with practical, results-oriented consulting and advisory skills. The group typically works with senior management at top financial institutions, official institutions and market intermediaries and utilities around the globe, with a focus on their balance sheet and capital markets exposures as well as a wide range of other strategic, regulatory and operational challenges.
The FMA group was established in 2008, within BRS, to address the unique challenges that arose globally as a consequence of the financial crisis. Since its founding, FMA has completed over 380 assignments for over 190 unique clients in 25 countries. The FMA team is regularly called upon to address our clients' most unique challenges. FMA uses financial, experiential, educational and promotional incentives to attract, retain and develop some of BlackRock's most outstanding talent. We presently conduct our activities through over 220 professionals located globally, principally in New York, London and Gurgaon, India. As part of BRS, the FMA group operates behind an informational barrier separating it from the firm's traditional portfolio management activities. This creates a conflict-avoidant environment and further serves to protect client data and proprietary information.
An Engagement Manager within the FMA team is responsible for the successful execution and delivery of client projects having a wide range of client type, scope and complexity given the group's mission. The Engagement Manager manages cross-functional teams throughout each stage of a client engagement from lead qualification; to engagement and assignment onboarding through project execution and delivery of final work product. The Engagement Manager is the primary client interface throughout the project, therefore playing a critical relationship management role in addition to project management responsibilities, frequently in concert with Business Development and group management professionals.
Assignments within the group range across each of our key five practice areas:
- Strategic Consulting
- Financial Institutions
- Official Institutions
- Transaction Support
- Specifically, the newly hired Engagement Manager will be expected to:
- Lead engagement design and planning by serving as the central point of contact for each project; define deliverable structure and content; manage timeline
- Direct and manage large, multi-disciplinary project teams including practice areas specialists, data and analytical experts, researchers and generalists
- Communicate efficiently across BlackRock internal working teams to ensure goals and objectives of client project design are clear, and that team roles are transparently defined
- Have primary responsibility of the engagement throughout the life of the project, including project design; successful kick-off; day-to-day project management; trouble-shooting; on-time, high-quality delivery of work product; and follow-up work
- Serve as the primary liaison for day-to-day interactions with clients, including executive-level stakeholders
- Play a hands-on role in client project execution by creating content, serving as a thought leader and providing solutions-based advice for our clients
- Work in close partnership with FMA leadership including senior management, business development leads and practice areas heads
- Enforce BlackRock's fiduciary culture of providing the highest quality service to our clients
- Provide team leadership, oversight and support for project teams in the office or at client sit
- Manage timeline, budget and engagement economics for each project
- Escalate potential issues, as they arise, to senior management
- Contribute to business development and relationship management, working alongside the broader team
- Act as a coach to junior staff, providing guidance on project work and career management
- The ideal candidate will be a seasoned engagement manager who has demonstrated the ability to lead complex projects with multiple stakeholders. A strong preference for prior experience in client sectors and engagement types overlapping with the FMA mission is highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Over 5 years of professional experience in the consulting or advisory industry with a track record of outstanding business achievements in complex financial and other services
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct a diverse, cross-functional team in a consultative fashion
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex ideas into clear messages and the acumen to lead discussions with client project team and selectively client senior management
- Excellent problem solving abilities, intellectual curiosity and experience understanding complex issues
- Team player with collaborative and strong interpersonal skills; mentors and coaches resources along the way; leads by example
- A client-focused spirit and willingness to take on additional responsibility
- Action-oriented attitude and willingness to roll up sleeves
- Superior organizational skills, self-starter and ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment
- Ability to promote sustainable and scalable workflow structures by leveraging systematic and thoughtful processes
- B.A. /B.S. in a relevant field. M.B.A. / Graduate degree/ C.F.A. are desirable
- Strong quantitative skills, including working knowledge of PowerPoint and Excel
Other personal characteristics
- Unquestioned integrity and the highest ethical standards
- Courage of convictions and the ability to respectfully debate the status quo
- High levels of demonstrated ownership over work product and project engagement
- A sincere passion for the financial markets and a self-determined drive to achieve superior performance
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.