BlackRock Experienced Research Role within Financial Markets Advisory
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 27 Sep 16
BlackRock Experienced Research Role within Financial Markets Advisory
Introduction to BlackRock:
BlackRock (NYSE: BLK) provides investment management, risk management, operations, and advisory services to institutional, intermediary, and individual investors around the world. BlackRock seeks to better serve clients by anticipating and responding to changes and advancements in the investment industry and capital markets, and continually aims to broaden and deepen its investment and risk management capabilities. Our commitment to analytical and investment excellence is anchored in a culture that places clients' interests first. We exclusively act as a fiduciary to our clients, never trading as a principal or on our own behalf.
Today, BlackRock serves institutional, retail, and high net worth investors in more than 100 countries. Through the efforts of over 12,000 professionals in more than 30 countries, we leverage our global expertise and scale to serve our clients. BlackRock is the largest publicly traded asset manager in the world, with assets under management ("AUM") of $4.6 trillion as of December 31 st , 2015.
Introduction to BlackRock Solutions:
Through its BlackRock Solutions ("BRS") division, the firm offers its strategic and balance sheet advisory, risk solution, Aladdin® enterprise investment management and risk system, and other outsourcing services. BRS combines advisory and analytical competencies with market and industry expertise to offer a range of global capabilities designed to provide our clients with balance sheet, capital markets and regulatory solutions. The foundation of this business is based in our Aladdin platform, which serves as the investment system for BlackRock as well as for a large number of sophisticated institutional investors around the world, and processes over $14 trillion of exposures on a daily basis. BlackRock's Aladdin offerings include comprehensive risk reporting along with investment-oriented analytics; and other middle and back office outsourcing and investment accounting services. The Aladdin® platform is the key to our ability to assimilate and analyze large, complex data risk across a vast array of investment holdings. The institutional infrastructure within BRS is truly unique, representing tremendous breadth and global scale in key functions such as data boarding and data integrity verification; financial modeling; financial analysis; and a wide range of analytical support services.
Introduction to BlackRock's Advisory Business:
BlackRock's Financial Markets Advisory ("FMA") group provides counsel to financial institutions, regulators, and government entities on their most critical and often most complex financial issues. The broad set of capabilities within FMA seeks to combine asset expertise and capital markets knowledge with practical, results-oriented consulting and advisory skills. The group typically works with senior management at top financial institutions, official institutions and market intermediaries and utilities around the globe, with a focus on their balance sheet and capital markets exposures as well as a wide range of other strategic, regulatory and operational challenges.
The FMA group was established in 2008, within BRS, to address the unique challenges that arose globally as a consequence of the financial crisis. Since its founding, FMA has completed over 380 assignments for over 190 unique clients in 25 countries. The FMA team is regularly called upon to address our clients' most unique challenges. FMA uses financial, experiential, educational and promotional incentives to attract, retain and develop some of BlackRock's most outstanding talent. We presently conduct our activities through over 220 professionals located globally, principally in New York, London and Gurgaon, India. As part of BRS, the FMA group operates behind an informational barrier separating it from the firm's traditional portfolio management activities. This creates a conflict-avoidant environment and further serves to protect client data and proprietary information.
Research is a newly created global function within FMA that will focus on:
- Collection of client-based data, financial analysis and competitive information, evaluation of key trends and macro-economic and political and regulatory factors and contribution to product expertise and data-mining
- Establish creative and multiple sourcing channels for data, news and information, through internal and external efforts
- Support data sourcing and development of data methodologies
- Provide direct input to Business Development effort, on both a macro and client-specific basis
- Contribute to client segmentation and strategy assessment
- Enrich calling program content
- Establish better response to news and market issues
- Contribute to Thought Leadership output, leveraging content from across the Firm
- Conduct fundamental and market research on financial companies, sectors, key issues, and regulatory matters globally
- Develop relevant data sources in support of research
- Maintain regular probing and mining of various primary source documents
- Track trends of relevance to Firm clients and client prospects
- Support a wide range of outputs, including:
- Research summaries as well as in-depth critical analysis;
- Internally- and externally-oriented communications (briefing memos, presentations, thought pieces, white papers); and,
- Client development-based and project-based deliverables.
- Effectively communicate, both verbal and written, key summary findings and analysis
- Contribute to client-specific project work and content as well as other specific research papers, forums, and thought leadership initiatives
- Collaborate and connect with other research efforts across BlackRock
Key Characteristics of the Candidate:
- Strong creative and analytical skills
- Ability to conduct self-directed research and fact-finding exercises, leveraging internal and external sources
- Ability to work across a global platform and serve in a dynamic and rapidly growing and evolving client base
- Demonstrated experience in financial markets, regulatory, and/or policy
- Ability to perform quantitative analysis to distil raw data into usable information
- Familiarity with financial statements and financial report analysis
- Comfort working with data and data sources
- Familiarity with sources and providers of research
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Unquestioned integrity and the highest ethical standards
- 5-7 years or more of research experience, preferably involving global matters and having both public and private sector dimensions;
- BS/BA graduate degree sufficient;
- Prior relevant experience in financial markets, regulatory, and/or policy; and,
- Proven personal production track record in qualitative and quantitative writing and other output on complex topics
"Equity Research", "Fixed Income Research", "Capital Markets", "Policy Research", "Regulatory"