BlackRock VP Markets Specialist
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 25 Sep 16
BlackRock VP Markets Specialist
Introduction to BlackRock:
BlackRock (NYSE: BLK) provides investment management, risk management, operations, and advisory services to institutional, intermediary, and individual investors around the world. BlackRock seeks to better serve clients by anticipating and responding to changes and advancements in the investment industry and capital markets, and continually aims to broaden and deepen its investment and risk management capabilities. Our commitment to analytical and investment excellence is anchored in a culture that places clients' interests first. We exclusively act as a fiduciary to our clients, never trading as a principal or on our own behalf.
Today, BlackRock serves institutional, retail, and high net worth investors in more than 100 countries. Through the efforts of over 12,000 professionals in 30 countries, we leverage our global expertise and scale to serve our clients. BlackRock is the largest publicly traded asset manager in the world, with assets under management ("AUM") of $4.6 trillion as of December 31st, 2015.
Introduction to BlackRock Solutions:
Through its BlackRock Solutions ("BRS") division, the firm offers its strategic and balance sheet advisory, risk solution, Aladdin® enterprise investment management and risk system, and other outsourcing services. BRS combines advisory and analytical competencies with market and industry expertise to offer a range of global capabilities designed to provide our clients with balance sheet, capital markets and regulatory solutions. The foundation of this business is based in our Aladdin platform, which serves as the investment system for BlackRock as well as for a large number of sophisticated institutional investors around the world, and processes over $17 trillion of exposures on a daily basis. BlackRock's Aladdin offerings include comprehensive risk reporting along with investment-oriented analytics; and other middle and back office outsourcing and investment accounting services. The Aladdin® platform is the key to our ability to assimilate and analyze large, complex data risk across a vast array of investment holdings. The institutional infrastructure within BRS is truly unique, representing tremendous breadth and global scale in key functions such as data onboarding and data integrity verification; financial modeling; financial analysis; and a wide range of analytical support services.
Introduction to BlackRock's Advisory Business:
BlackRock's Financial Markets Advisory ("FMA") group provides counsel to financial institutions, regulators, and government entities on their most critical and often most complex financial issues. The broad set of capabilities within FMA seeks to combine asset expertise and capital markets knowledge with practical, results-oriented consulting and advisory skills. The group typically works with senior management at top financial institutions, official institutions and market intermediaries and utilities around the globe, with a focus on their balance sheet and capital markets exposures as well as a wide range of other strategic, regulatory and operational challenges.
The FMA group was established in 2008, within BRS, to address the unique challenges that arose globally as a consequence of the financial crisis. Since its founding, FMA has completed over 460 assignments for over 210 unique clients in 31 countries. The FMA team is regularly called upon to address our clients' most unique challenges. FMA uses financial, experiential, educational and promotional incentives to attract, retain and develop some of BlackRock's most outstanding talent. We presently conduct our activities through over 200 professionals located globally, principally in New York, London and Gurgaon, India. As part of BRS, the FMA group operates behind an informational barrier separating it from the firm's traditional portfolio management activities. This creates a conflict-avoidant environment and further serves to protect client data and proprietary information.
Introduction to BRS FMA's Market & Analytics Group (MAG):
The Markets & Analytics Group (MAG) within FMA is the global function accountable for developing a strategic and innovative approach to the capital markets and analytical components of client engagements. The group has a wide range of responsibilities across the life of FMA's processes and client assignments including, but not limited to:
• Driving the design and execution of analytical processes within engagements, working in concert with practice area professionals, engagement managers and other engagement team members ( e.g., work on a project team responsible for developing a suite of stress testing models for a large European bank, covering the end-to-end process from onboarding millions of records of historical loan portfolio data to building comprehensive balance sheet models for review with bank and regulatory stakeholders, ultimately impacting capital decisions )
• Providing capital markets content, including asset class expertise and trade execution capabilities, across engagements, leveraging direct and Firm resources ( e.g., provide liquidation cost analysis related to a portfolio of complex, structured securities in support of a Client's strategic divestment initiative, valuing and managing the wind-down of a Client's non-core portfolio of structured assets )
• Helping drive commercial momentum across all aspects of FMA, playing a key role in client solicitations and product development ( e.g., be an active stakeholder in all aspects of client-level dialogue - including executive level interaction - related to FMA's analytical capabilities and asset class / product suite )
• Serving as the central point of coordination with the BRS Financial Modeling Group ("FMG") and the Portfolio Analytics Group ("PAG") with respect to project design, execution, and delivery, as well as strategic deployment and coordination of resources ( e.g., develop a deep understanding of analytics, modeling, and technology at BlackRock while building a broad network across the firm )
• Providing oversight on the quality of all analytical deliverables across the department, through the development and execution of a consistent quality assurance process
The Markets vertical within FMA's MAG team is responsible for providing financial markets and specific asset class expertise to FMA and its clients, as well as providing hands-on portfolio management and execution when needed.
Specifically, the Junior Markets Specialist will be expected to:
• - Provide valuation and risk assessment on a range of asset classes such as securitized products (RMBS, CMBS, ABS, esoterics, etc.), corporate bonds, residential and commercial mortgage loans, etc.
• - Provide analytical and financial markets content and solutions to advisory clients
• - Collaborate with the BlackRock Solutions' Financial Modelling Group (FMG) and Portfolio Analytics Group (PAG) teams to create analytical solutions that address clients' challenges
• - Work with FMA's Business Development and Project Management teams to understand client needs and deliver solutions to clients
• - Collaborate with FMA's regulatory experts to advise clients on applying regulatory mandates to real-world market conditions
• - Work directly on client project execution
The ideal candidate will have a strong quantitative/analytical background and experience communicating/explaining quantitative concepts to end users. The ideal candidate will possess:
• - 5+ years of experience in the fixed income financial markets
• - Flexible thinking and an ability to grasp new financial concepts and expand into new markets quickly
• - Excellent problem solving abilities, intellectual curiosity and experience understanding complex issues
• - Very strong Microsoft Excel skills
• - Programming experience, especially in scripting languages, a plus
• - Strong attention to detail; action-oriented attitude; and willingness to roll up sleeves
• - Solid verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex methodologies and analytical content into clear messages
• - Team player with collaborative and strong interpersonal skills; strong organizational skills, self-starter and ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment
• - Superior organizational skills, self-starter and ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment
• - B.S. in a quantitative discipline, e.g. Finance, Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering, Physics; Econometrics, or similar.
Other personal characteristics
• - Unquestioned integrity and the highest ethical standards
• - A keen interest in financial markets and a built-in drive to achieve superior performance
#FinancialMarkets #FixedIncome #Valuation #Loans #StructuredProducts #Analytics #Modeling #CCAR #DFAST #StressTesting #Markets