Head of Hedge Fund Selection – General Manager
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Permanent, Full time
- Al Futtaim Group
- 29 Sep 16
Al-Futtaim Group is one of the leading business houses in the Middle East region, employing over 40,000 people (including those in joint ventures and subsidiaries) in diverse sectors spanning more than 60 businesses, predominantly in the Automotive Industry, Retailing, Electronics, Financial Services and Development and Construction.
The Al Futtaim Group dominates many market segments in the UAE and has expanded geographically to cover Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Egypt, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Singapore. It is also looking to expand further into North Africa and South East Asia.
The Group comprises a diverse range of strategically positioned operating subsidiaries and associate companies, structured to give the Al-Futtaim Group the flexibility and versatility to keep ahead of local competition while keeping pace with the ever-evolving global business scenario.
The success of the Al-Futtaim Group can be attributed to a business approach that combines the ability to change with the traditional values of integrity, service and social responsibility that define its core business philosophy. This, linked with the Group’s belief in decentralisation, gives the heads of the operating companies a high degree of functional autonomy and authority, providing the Group with essential flexibility, and individual employees a clearly defined work culture and sense of responsibility.
Al-Futtaim has recently established an internal investment operation including a governance framework based on global best practice for the management of its diversified portfolio, covering long-only and alternative asset classes.
We are looking for a General Manager to join our Investment office spearheading the alternative investments initiative. This position is based in Dubai and reports directly to the Chief Investment Officer.
The General Manager – Investment Manager Selection will structure and lead/build the process for external manager selection for Al Futtaim Investment Office in the long-only and in the alternative asset space.
The General Manager – Investment Manager Selection will work on an individual basis and have the following responsibilities:
- Supporting the CIO and the Investment Committee (IC) in making asset class and style recommendation which can be assigned to external managers
- Set-up a selection process for all external manager searches, including quantitative and qualitative selection criteria
- On-site visits of short-listed managers in order to go through a thorough due diligence process
- Making written and verbal recommendations to the CIO and the IC concerning recommended managers
- Supporting the CIO and various internal departments in the manager on-boarding process
- Reporting relevant risk and performance figures of the selected managers to the IC and relevant parties in the organisation
- Set-up of manager monitoring process with a clear and structured manager termination procedure
- Keeping abreast of market developments in regard to product innovation and the asset management industry
Applicants should hold a M.Sc in Finance, Economics or related subjects. An additional qualification such as CFA or CAIA is a clear plus.
The ideal candidate must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in manager selection, preferably in an institutional environment covering long-only and alternatives. He/she will possess in-depth experience with manager selection and analytics software and should have had PnL responsibility. Experience in operational due diligence processes especially in the alternative investment space.
We are looking for an individual who is a diligent and structured thinker. Since this role involves a high level of autonomy, the individual must be a self-starter who is able to work independently in a small and fast growing investment organization in the UAE
This is a unique opportunity for a self-driven individual to build a portfolio structure from scratch.