Oracle DBA - Graduate position
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Melbourne Victoria AU
- Permanent, Full time
- FIS Global
- 18 Mar 18 2018-03-18
Oracle DBA - Graduate position
Provide database support services to application teams and operations teams. May require knowledge of multiple database management systems on one or more operating systems. Although this primarily be Oracle databases, there may be some work on SQLServer, DB2 and MySQL required. Primary duties include database software installation and maintenance, upgrade/patching, performance investigations and tuning, infrastructure management, and the creation/support of application databases.
Some out of business hours support will be expected for the patching/support functions and will be compensated via time in lieu.
Applicant is expected to be an independent learner with a willingness to study and work on Oracle technologies. They should have some database administration skills - preferably in Oracle or SQLServer.
Basic understanding of Linux and shell scripting is required.
General Duties & Responsibilities
• Meets commitments and provides excellent customer service at all times with internal and external clients.
• Provides status reports (written and/or verbal) that are detailed to tasks and difficulties encountered - enables managers to initiate escalation if necessary and assess areas where changes or additional support may be warranted.
• Ensures issues resulting in customer outage is escalated appropriately through management.
• Assists application groups with design development that meet current and future business requirements:
- Participates in logical design process of strategic projects and responsible for the physical design/implementation.
- Provides specific direction on infrastructure design to support applications.
- Participates as a member of development support team on projects.
- Follows and meets project timelines and deadlines.
• Provides maintenance of physical database:
- Creates physical database objectives following established standards and processes employed by database team.
- Enforces database standards and follows up on inconsistencies.
- Performs routine reviews of databases and systems to ensure acceptable levels of performance.
o Reports problem performance areas and recommendations for improvement.
o Follows up on recommendations and actively pushes for implementation as appropriate.
- Understands and applies database concepts such as database definitions, parameters, database component placement, reorganization, access methods and security definitions.
- Works with capacity planning, operations, application developers and other teams on database performance and access issues.
• Provides out of hours support of production database environments.
• As a database administrator, provide on call support as needed for on-call issues with database environments and provides follow up and permanent resolution for reoccurring issues.
• Implements backup/recovery procedures to protect integrity of data in database environment.
• Actively manages backups along with other database administrators to ensure processes are successful and we can recover as a result.
• If necessary, participates in recovery of databases and assists with disaster recovery testing and documentation.
• Other related duties assigned as needed.