Construction Safety Specialist - Regional
DESCRIPTION For more than 14 years, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has been the world's most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud computing platform. What is cloud computing? Cloud computing is the on-demand delivery of IT resources over the Internet. Instead of buying, owning, and maintaining physical data centers and servers, companies can access technology services, such as computing power, storage, and databases, on an as-needed basis from AWS. AWS offers over 175 fully featured services for compute, storage, databases, networking, analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, mobile security, hybrid, virtual and augmented reality, media, and application development, deployment, and management from 77 Availability Zones across 24 geographic regions. AWS services are trusted by millions of active customers around the world - including the fastest-growing startups, largest enterprises, and leading government agencies - to power their infrastructure, make them more agile, and lower costs. To learn more about AWS, visit https://aws.amazon.com.
The AWS Health & Safety Compliance team is an expanding and dynamic team which is critical to enabling AWS' growth around the world, as well as other AWS facilities, customer-facing enterprises and products. The Health & Safety Compliance team has responsibility for architecting and implementing AWS' global environmental and safety programs. This includes defining and implementing risk management and compliance systems and driving their continuous improvement; setting and refining global policies and procedures; overseeing the development of standards, tools, auditing and metrics, and employee training; ensuring effective engagement by environmental and health & safety teams on global initiatives, including those that are part of Amazon's ambitious sustainability goals; providing specialist expertise; and engaging with all AWS business units to provide scalable and effective environmental and health & safety compliance strategies that support current and future business objectives while ensuring employee safety and compliance with environmental and health & safety regulations.
As the AWS Construction Safety Regional Specialist you will support the AWS Construction activities through authoring, adjusting, consulting, driving and scaling of the safety and health management programs. You will be responsible for ensuring that the global program's elements provide value and injury reduction techniques to our people while also setting/exceeding compliance standards for countries in region. You will oversee program revisions and feedback loops ensuring continuous improvement initiatives result in injury reduction and/or risk reduction. You will align globally for vision, structure regionally, and apply locally, while ensuring program elements are constantly improving the customer/employee experience by being clear, concise, and value added programs. You will partner with customer/employees/suppliers/regulators to understand and anticipate the needs of AWS Leaders during construction activities to provide a culture which goes beyond compliance, and injury management, and insists on the highest standards.
The Construction Safety Regional Specialist will support all business units within AWs, with a strong focus on the safe construction operations of our data centers. Specific duties and responsibilities include: comprehensive authoring, monitoring, and improving of construction safety management programs such as Management Commitment & Involvement, Risk Assessment and Management, Targets & Action Planning, Incident/Emergency Management, Training & Awareness Programs, Operational Control Programs, Communication Management, and Performance Measurement & Analysis. Specialized support in the areas of International Safety Management, Construction Safety Management, Supplier/Contractor Safety Management, and Security Management techniques will support regional or international initiatives.
You will partner with a variety of business leaders and departments across AWS to share strategies, influence change and drive the safety culture. In all these endeavors, you will have to partner with the AWS Construction and Data Center Regional Safety Managers and Engineers, ensuring clear and frequent communication, establishing mechanized processes for how the two teams interact, and collaborate on all programmatic initiatives.
You will be regionally focused, but are integrated with a global network of safety and health professionals and reports into the AWS Global Construction Safety Program Leader. Within your geographic region, (APAC) you will be expected to manage multiple countries and associated regulations related to safety and health. Regional and international travel will be required.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's or advanced degree in Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Health, Occupational Safety, Construction Management, Construction Engineering or related field.
• Experience in International Standards Organization standard application such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, or ISO 45001.
• Minimum 7 years of relevant safety experience managing or building health and safety programs, with a proven record of safety, with minimum 5 years of experience working in the construction industry as a safety professional
• 3+ years with tools such as: Microsoft Office, Excel, Tableau, etc.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • A builder - not a maintainer in Safety Program Management with experience in field safety program deployment in data center environments.
• Advanced degree and certification through recognized agency/association in occupational health and safety or equivalent (i.e. BCSP, ASSP, BCRSP, ITC-ILO, IOSH, ISPON, NEBOSH, SISO, MEM, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to build compliance programs and embed a culture of compliance in a large, rapidly growing, global enterprise
• Extensive knowledge of global construction safety regulatory frameworks (i.e. Construction, Design and Management Regulations 0 UK, Construction Work - Code of Practice - Australia, etc.)
• Extensive knowledge of global construction incident management and risk mitigation programs.
• Strong management experience, with a record of proven leadership.
• Success working in matrixed organizations.
• High ethical standards with proven ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information
• Excellent judgment, discretion and diplomacy
• Excellent problem solving skills, an ability to innovate, and attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience interfacing with and influencing site leaders and senior business leaders
• Ability to identify, develop and implement department goals and strategies
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.