Data Center Facility Manager
We are seeking an energetic Data Center Facility Manager to serve as a technical resource and leader within AWS SYD Data Centres. The position will help ensure overall availability and reliability to meet or exceed defined service levels of data center operations. The Data Centre Facility Manager is responsible for the overall operation and maintenance of all electrical, mechanical, and HVAC equipment within the Data Centre. The Data Centre Facility Manager will assist in maintaining a high reliability and performance while keeping operating costs in facilities at a minimum. This equipment supports mission-critical servers and must maintain better than 99.999% uptime.
This role acts as Amazon's front line when it comes to hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment troubleshooting. They will maintain, operate, and troubleshoot mission-critical data center facility equipment including electrical support equipment such as stand-by diesel generators and related fuel systems, 3 phase electrical systems that include but not limited to HV & LV switchgear, UPS units, PDUs, and wet cell batteries and associated systems. Mechanical equipment includes CRAC units, Chillers, Air Handlers and associated systems, pumps, and motors. Additional support equipment is included in the scope of the role which includes Fire Suppression systems, Building Automation systems, and general Facilities equipment.
- Oversee all aspects of the data centre's critical physical infrastructure. Ensure that all work performed within the space is done to high quality and without impact to internal/external customers through Change Management
- Manage teams of 24x7 engineering technicians in all facets of their career
- Engage in improvement projects, reaching out to a variety of support teams, and driving results from conception to completion
- Coordinates daily with a multitude of third party vendors ensuring adherence to contracted SLAs
- Effectively and efficiently manage the operations budget and expenditures
- Routinely operate as the after hours on-call Data Center Facility Manager for the data centers in the region. This will include responding to any issues within the data centers and managing the investigation, mitigation, and recovery of the issue(s) Basic Qualifications
- An excellent understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems involved in critical Data Centre Operations including systems such as feeders, Transformers, Generators, Switch gear, UPS systems, ATS units, PDU units, chillers, pumps, Air Handling units and Fan pack units
- Proven track record of people management and developing teams and in particular ensuring staff are ready for any and conditions through skill and process development
- Ability to solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
- Has a strong aptitude for trouble shooting and problem solving
- Ability to maintain SLAs through the implementation of proactive issue detection and reporting
- Ability to follow accurate and complete support procedures, system documentation, and issue tracking entries
- Shows good judgment and instincts in decision making
- Ability to prioritize in complex, fast-paced environment
- Proactively and continually improve your level of knowledge about Amazon business and relevant technologies
- Able to demonstrate their ability to take ownership of technical issues brought to them by their customer base. If they are unable to resolve certain issues by themselves, can demonstrate a willingness to actively engage other support teams to drive it to resolution Preferred Qualifications
- All qualifications mentioned above
- Advanced electrical or mechanical certifications (Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant engineering discipline is also acceptable)
- 5+ years of experience working in data centers with an emphasis on building and equipment operation
- 3+ years of experience in a management position with 5 or more direct reports