Inside Plant Operations Quality Assurance Engineer
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a highly innovative company that collaborates across disciplines to produce cutting edge technology that changes our world. The AWS Inside Plant Design and Engineering Team is a new fast-growing and leading-edge research and development team that is rethinking the design for the critical arteries that connect the various pieces of hardware inside AWS' data centers and edge sites.
As a member of this team, you will work directly with engineers and managers across the company to develop structured cabling and installation standards. You will also be charged with visiting our data centers and ensuring that we are following these standards while also collecting lessons learned so we are continually improving.
Responsibilities will include:
• Drive world-class quality in the Data Center to achieve the best operating, lowest cost infrastructure in the world. The QA engineer will be obsessed with quality, engineering and design continuous improvements.
• Ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs while maintaining or improving quality, reliability, or maintainability
• The QA engineer will focus on fiber optic and optic components, cabling and interconnect products, technologies and standards at this point. The scope may expand to mechanical and electrical (M&E) and other mission critical components later.
• Work with engineering team to develop a global design standards document, global installation best practice guidelines and product specifications for ISP, develop a QA manuals and control amendments and revisions, develop audit strategies, and define quality and operational metrics that measure success.
• Audit and inspect DC & edge sites to ensure standards are being followed, verify defects, generate punch lists, report and generate remediation plans, action and close all customer complaints and defects, provide recommendations based on product and vendor performance, continuously propose improvements to existing designs and processes in order to improve ID's speed, quality and efficiency.
• Conduct training sessions with local Infra Delivery Teams and any other Infra Ops organizations to ensure deployments comply with design standards and best practices.
• Candidates must be responsive and communicate with technical teams to collect requirements and communicate with internal customers to describe features, technical designs and strategy.
• Identify and respond to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively
• Support New Product Introduction activities that improve infrastructure quality, reduce cost and installation time
• Travel 40+% to review projects and coordinate with onsite personnel and contractors at AWS' Data Centers
This is an opportunity to leverage and grow your existing quality and engineering experience in an innovative and highly collaborative environment where the results of your work will directly impact AWS and its customers. Basic Qualifications
• 7+ years of experience in QA methodology and tools
• 4+ years of Data Center project management and/or engineering experience.
• 5+years in either fiber optic cable, optic components, cabling and interconnect products, technologies and standards (Optional: M&E and other mission critical facilities).
• Ability to travel globally Preferred Qualifications
• Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or relevant discipline
• BICSI RCDD and/or DCDC certification.
• Comfort and familiarity with common data structures, algorithms and collections
• Experience in documenting corporate standards, best practice guidelines and/or manuals.
• Experience in Kaizen/continuous improvement initiatives.
• Six Sigma Yellow or Green Belt
• Quality Assurance Certifications (CQA/CQE)
• Enthusiastic about providing training.
• Multi-region and/or global experience.
• Strong understanding of automation and how to apply where possible
• Familiar with either ISO9001 / ISO11801, TIA568C, TIA942 and/or ANSI/BICSI 002-2014
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe features, technical designs, and strategy
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.