Network Development Engineer
Amazon.com is looking for best-in-class Network Engineers to help deploy, scale and automate one of the world's largest networks. With Amazon Web Services, our goal is to become "The Infrastructure Platform" to the world. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability for their services. We are expanding at a tremendous rate it is our responsibility to maintain quality and reliability while developing innovative ways to automate the scaling of our network.
As a Network Engineer working within AWS Infrastructure you will:
• Deploy network infrastructure across all of our network fabrics that supports the Amazon Retail Service and multiple AWS services.
• Deploy, scale and automate our network across multiple global data centers in both existing and new locations.
• Drive scaling of current network designs to meet the increasing demand of our customers.
• Create simple, repetitive deployment processes that increase both velocity and quality.
• Work closely with our internal customers on designs/solutions; bringing those designs/solutions from concept to production.
• Create and update our network standards and ensure that the network is deployed to these standards.
• Create and implement changes on the network.
• Automate workflow and execution of deployments on a global scale
• Work closely with our automation teams in transitioning and defining new tools that allow us to scale at unprecedented volume.
Our ideal candidate has a proven record of delivering large quantities of peering and transit circuits, is highly autonomous, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, strong project management and time management skills, and has a successful track record of designing simple, scalable solutions and troubleshooting complex network problems. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential. Basic Qualifications
• Bachelor's Degree in a technology related field or equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years professional experience for every 1 year of education.
• 3+ years professional experience working in large scale networking environments.
• Knowledge and experience with internet routing protocols and concepts: TCP/IP, BGP, MPLS, ISIS and/or OSPF.
• Experience working in a Linux/Unix environment.
• Experience in automation via Bash/shell scripting and Perl/Python programming. Preferred Qualifications
• Strong understanding of the OSI and TCP/IP models.
• Experience troubleshooting switching and routing hardware
• Experience troubleshooting layer 1, 2 and 3 network problems.
• Experience working with customers to diagnose a problem, and work toward resolution
• Basic understanding of the UNIX/LINUX operating environments with the ability to manipulate files/permissions and troubleshoot basic command-line utilities.
• Needs to be a highly motivated to learn
• Needs to have strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to multitask effectively
• Strong logical thinking skills, with the ability to adapt as new information becomes available
• Ability to operate efficiently under pressure
• Experience with, and expertise in many of the following protocols & technologies: DWDM, 802.2/3, 802.1d VLANs/STP, IPv4 & IPv6, TCP (internals & flow control), BGP, OSPF.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role