Network Development Engineer
Amazon.com is looking for best-in-class Network Engineers to drive the operations and automation of one of the world's largest and complex networks. With Amazon Web Services (http://aws.amazon.com), our goal is to become "The Infrastructure Platform" to the world. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability for their services and challenge us to be better, faster, and cheaper every day. We are expanding at a tremendous rate; it is our responsibility to maintain quality and reliability while developing innovative ways to automate the operation of our network.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation and AWS Direct connect is looking for network development engineers to join our Sydney, Australia and Dublin, Ireland teams.
What is AWS and AWS Direct Connect?
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a broad set of global compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and networking services that help organizations move faster, lower IT costs, and scale applications. Our services are trusted by the largest enterprises and the hottest startups to power a wide variety of workloads.
The AWS Direct Connect team delivers solutions that make it easy for customers to establish a dedicated network connection from their premises to the AWS cloud. These connections help to reduce network costs, increase bandwidth throughput, and provide a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections. AWS Direct Connect is currently available in more than 100 locations, which span nearly 70 cities in 30 different countries.
- The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of technical leadership and success in driving complex issues to resolution, autonomously and/or collaboratively.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of networking, networking concepts and theory.
- They will have experience managing proactive engineering, network optimization and operational network support for a large-scale service provider or enterprise environment.
- The successful candidate will be expected to provide high quality network event management for Amazon's worldwide network.
- As a technical leader, he/she will manage complex stakeholder relationships, both technical and management.
- A love for working with new technologies and pushing the envelope on existing technology is essential!
This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazons world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
As a Network Development Engineer working within AWS Infrastructure you will:
- Provide critical on-shift network operations support to Amazon.com customers to diagnose and respond to large-scale networking events.
- Support and maintain our next generation data-center networks.
- Deliver simple, sustainable and repeatable solutions and processes.
- Partner with our broader Technical Operations organization to reduce operational burden.
- Work closely with our Network Engineering & Deployment teams to ensure operational readiness for new deployments.
- Drive standards across the network and ensure that we are fully compliant to those standards and policies.
- Participate and drive impact mitigation during large-scale events utilizing an established Event Management process.
- Drive event deep dives for large-scale events, deliver high-quality documentation for the events and drive corrective actions to completion.
- Improve our detection mechanisms by designing and implementing new alerts.
- Identify and troubleshoot recurring platform issues and ability to effectively engage with mid and senior-level engineering teams for full resolution.
- Create and review documentation and process regarding recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
- Troubleshoot networking, routing and interconnectivity issues, including troubleshooting of network device configuration and low level application interaction.
- Identify and drive opportunities to repeatable networking tasks through creation and maintenance of scripts and tools.
- Effectively contribute towards hiring and developing others in the team. Basic Qualifications
• A relevant degree in a related technical discipline or equivalent experience.
• 5+ years of experience in a large-scale network operations environment.
• Excellent IP networking fundamentals and extensive experience in the application and troubleshooting of IP protocols.
• Excellent TCP networking fundamentals and extensive experience in the application and troubleshooting of TCP.
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major internet routing protocols; specifically BGP and OSPF.
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major router platforms; specifically Cisco: ASR, NCS, Nexus and Juniper: MX/EX platforms including all compatible supervisory and line cards for these platforms.
• Unix/Linux familiarity, scripting knowledge and experience in Python, Perl, or shell is required.
• Experience working with large-scale networks.
• Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills.
• Experience with the following protocols and concepts: TCP/IP, TCP/IP Flow control, UDP, HSRP/VRRP/GLBP, DNS, ARP, HTTP, SSL, STP, Trunking, & Port Channeling, IPsec and TLS. Preferred Qualifications
• Substantial background in large scale datacenter network implementations and support.
• Experience in working on a Linux/Unix environment
• Experience in Software development/scripting in Python or shell ()
• Experience in dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
• Experience in mentoring and coaching junior engineers.
• Define and influence strategy within and outside the team.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
• Experience with IT best practice frameworks (ITIL, COBIT) and Operational Excellence concepts or methodologies is a plus.
• Effective in prioritization and time management.
• Possesses excellent analytical skills.
• Physical requirements - The ability to sit in front of a computer for a scheduled 8-hour shift while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
• Flexibility to support follow-the-sun shifts and on-calls (including weekends/Public holidays).