Network Development Engineer
Amazon.com is looking for best-in-class Network Engineers to help deploy, scale and automate one of the world's largest and complex networks. With Amazon Web Services, our goal is to become "The Infrastructure Platform" to the world. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability for their services. We are expanding at a tremendous rate it is our responsibility to maintain quality and reliability while developing innovative ways to automate the scaling of our network.
As a Network Engineer working within AWS Infrastructure you will:
• Be responsible for automation of deploying network infrastructure across all of our network fabrics that supports the Amazon Retail Service, Kindle, Payments and multiple AWS services.
• Deploy, scale and automate our network across multiple global datacenters. This includes existing footprints and greenfield locations.
• Drive scaling of current network designs to meet the demand of our customers.
• Create simple, repetitive deployment processes that increase both velocity and quality.
• Work closely with our internal customers on designs/solutions; bringing those designs/solutions from concept to production.
• Create and update our network standards and ensure that the network is deployed to these standards.
• Create and implement changes on the network.
• Automate workflow and execution of deployments on a global scale
• Work closely with our automation teams in transitioning and defining new tools that allow us to scale at unprecedented volume.
Our ideal candidate has a proven record of building automated solutions, is highly autonomous, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, strong project management and time management skills and has a successful track record of designing simple, scalable solutions and troubleshooting complex network problems and delivering innovative solutions. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential. Basic Qualifications
• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is required.
• Candidates should have 5+ years industry experience in a similar environment.
• Excellent IP networking fundamentals and extensive experience in the application of IP protocols.
• Experience scripting with Python and/or Perl
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major internet routing protocols; specifically BGP and OSPF
• Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills.
• Ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers is required.
• Experience designing network and datacenter installations utilizing L2 and L3 protocols. Preferred Qualifications
• Experience with mission critical multicast systems is highly desired.
• Strong understanding of the OSI and TCP/IP models
• Experience troubleshooting switching and routing hardware
• Object-oriented design and coding skills (C/C++ and/or Java preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform)
• Experience troubleshooting layer 1 and 2 network problems.
• Experience working with customers to diagnose a problem, and work toward resolution
• Basic understanding of the UNIX/LINUX operating environments with the ability to navigate, manipulate and understand the file structure.
• Needs to be a highly motivated to learn
• Needs to have strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to multitask effectively
• Strong logical thinking skills, with the ability to adapt as new information becomes available
• Ability to operate efficiently under pressure
• Past experience with, and expertise in many of the following protocols & technologies: DWDM, T1/DS1, DS3, SONET (OC3, OC48), 802.2/3, 802.1d VLANs/STP, IPv4 & IPv6, TCP (internals & flow control), BGP, OSPF, HSRP/GLBP, PIMv2, IGMP, LDP, TACACS, IPSEC & VPNs, netflow, DNS, HTTP.