Network Technician - AWS
- Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Salary: Competitive
- Job Type: Full time
Network Technician - AWSWe are looking to hire a highly motivated, best-in-class Network Technician II to join our growing team within infrastructure operations. The candidate will work with minimum supervision in a dynamic environment to drive the stability and sustainability of our next-generation networks and to develop innovative ways to automate and scale our network as we expand.
The position responsibilities will include scaling support of several data center locations and be responsible for day to day assistance with capacity management. The Network Technician II will work closely with both internal customers and external vendors to facilitate smooth project execution as directed by Technical Program Managers
Our ideal candidate is highly autonomous, very detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills and has significant experience in supporting large scale, enterprise class networks. Strong network implementation and troubleshooting skills combined with a proven documentation methodology is also required. Significant written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers are required. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential. In addition to providing top-tier management and support of Amazon's vast network infrastructure, Network Technician II's are expected to build or enhance tools, develop best practices, refine operational procedure and constantly think proactively and innovatively.
In addition, the role may require International travel of up to 30% and will require the individual to obtain Visa's as required.
• AS/BS in Information Systems, Computer Science or Information Assurance, may be coupled with certifications to include CCNA, CCNP or JNCIA; or 3-5+ years of mid-level and/or enterprise experience as a technician or engineer in a highly dynamic environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Deliver sustainable and repeatable solutions and processes always with an eye on improvement.
• Work closely with our Network Engineering & Network Technical Project Manager teams to ensure fast, smooth rollout of new designs and products.
• TCP/IP networking knowledge
• Broad understanding of infrastructure technologies
• Knowledge of network cabling, optic types, and test equipment, such as VFL, power meter, and OTDR.
• Experience with cabling infrastructure best practices and methodologies.
• Familiarity with common networking terms.
• Manage work and priorities through ticketing system and workflow
• Collaborate with various stake holders to remove project obstacles
• Ability to travel within geographical work area is required, up to 30% travel outside traditional work area may be required possibly including international travel.
• Troubleshoot networking, routing and inter connectivity issues, including troubleshooting of network device configuration and low to mid-level application interaction
• Troubleshooting cabling infrastructure connectivity issues, including patch panels and patch cords.
• Specifying Power and Cooling requirements and ensuring Hardware Racking/Stacking completed for new equipment
• Complete customer requests via Remedy trouble ticketing system
• Participate in the migration, basic configuration and rollout of new or upgraded hardware
• Comfortability with medium to large, complex project scopes and ambiguous details within work environment
• Excellent judgement and analytical skills, ability to prioritize tasks based on fluctuating needs
• Strong understanding of major Command Line Protocols (Cisco IOS, JunOS, etc) and common Networking Protocols (BGP, OSPF)
• Significant background in large scale datacenter network implementations and support.
• Several years of experience working in virtualized enterprise networking environments
• Professional experience with IT best practice frameworks (ITIL, LEAN, AGILE) and Operational Excellence concepts or methodologies is a plus
Other Qualifications & Responsibilities
• Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
• Strong prioritization and time management ability.
• The ability to sit in front of computer for entire scheduled 8-hour shift with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
• Ability to move and lift computer equipment up to 22kgs