Senior IT Risk Manager
Role: Senior IT Risk Manager Business Unit: Group Technology Type: Full-time, permanent
Westpac has a complex Information Technology environment that needs to deliver to the rapidly changing needs of our customers and employees, the ever-evolving IT landscape and the Group's regulatory and statutory requirements.
To meet these complex needs, the Governance Risk and Control group helps GroupTech to do the right things in the right ways - making the organisation better and stronger tomorrow than it is today. How will I help?
Through evaluating directing and monitoring you will enable the organisation to make better decisions faster - balancing risk and reward and delivering outcomes that are effective, efficient, sustainable and aligned to the corporate vision and strategy.
This role is responsible for evaluating, directing and monitoring 1st line risk activities to ensure risk across Technology is kept within the risk appetite established for the Westpac Group.
What do I need?
- Influence risk culture through sponsoring and promoting the understanding of operational risk and overseeing the effectiveness and efficient implementation of the Operational Risk Management Framework.
- Ensure technology risk at an aggregate and individual risk type level across GroupTech business units are identified, assessed, mitigated, monitored and modelled.
- Advise Divisional Directors and General Manager on the risk they are accountable for and ensure plans are in place to manage the risks and issues associated.
- Facilitate the identification of appropriate metrics and tolerances (aligned with risk appetite), covering significant risks and key controls and ensure breaches are escalated.
- Understand control failures and assist in the identification of the underlying root causes, how they have or could impact GroupTech, and determine control improvements / remediation based on supporting cost/benefit analysis.
- Monitor the business activities to ensure GroupTech is operating within the tolerance of Risk Appetite Statement
- Drive standardisation across GroupTech to achieve world class risk management practices and processes across 1st line functions.
- Ensure GroupTech staff has adequate understanding of regulatory and legislative landscape that governs their business activities and ensure that operating policies and procedures are compliant with these requirements.
- Lead quality service delivery through effective alignment with the 3 Lines of Defence Model and Operational Risk Management Frameworks.
- Responsible for the risk control self-assessment process and monitor the effectiveness of IT related risk and controls management practices, by developing a deep understanding of what can go wrong in the business and mechanisms in place to reduce occurrence and impacts to form a view of operational risk exposure.
- Develop and implement technology risk practices that ensure alignment between GroupTech Strategy and Group Strategy, and balance risk and reward in alignment with Group Risk Appetite Statement.
- Provide oversight of risk-related incidents and breaches with the aim of validating any first line assessments and investigating the possibility of systemic issues.
- Take a lead role in challenging GroupTech in regards to controls monitoring and testing and develop monitoring techniques to highlight gaps, drive improvements and escalate as required.
What's it like to work there?
- Talent with operational IT, business knowledge and risk/control experience in equal measure
- Commercial and cost modelling mindset to articulate trade-offs and mitigants
- Significant operational risk and compliance advisory experience
- Significant experience in a large and complex organisation, primarily in the financial services industry
- Experience in a consulting or audit organisation
- Experience in managing teams and facilitation of working groups to achieve successful outcomes
- Demonstrate able experience influencing senior stakeholders
- Highly developed analytical and consultancy skills
- Strategic thinking
- Self-leader; manages to high quality and time
- Relevant industry qualifications
As well as good pay and a great culture, joining the Westpac family means you'll get lots of perks including some of the best banking, wealth and insurance benefits in the market. We back our employees by helping them work towards industry-recognised qualifications, using online learning, training modules and career planning tools for you to grow with us. We'll even pay you to do volunteer or community work. How do I apply?
As part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, this role is open to experienced candidates seeking a discussion around workplace flexibility. We invite candidates of all ages, people with a disability and Indigenous Australians to apply.