Senior Legal Counsel and Head of Legal for Wealth and Personal Banking
Some career choices have more impact than others.
We're looking for progressive minds who are driven and forward-thinking, who are open
to different ideas and cultures, who can connect
with customers and colleagues and who'll work with courageous integrity
As an HSBC employee in Australia, you'll have access to tailored professional development opportunities, competitive pay, an embedded flexible working culture and a range of employee benefits. These include market-leading subsidised private health cover, enhanced parental pay and support when returning to work, subsidised banking products and services and wellness programmes including discounted gym memberships. What are we looking for?
Most important for us is that you have significant experience supporting and advising on legal issues in a retail banking environment. You might come from a leading private legal practice or an in-house environment. It is important that you can demonstrate the work you have done in a retail banking environment (without breaching client confidentiality). What type of work would I be doing?
The role is broad in scope. It covers the provision of legal advice, guidance and support to our Wealth and Personal Banking (WPB) business in Australia. As the Head of WPB Legal, you will be responsible for legal support to the WPB business in Australia. You'll need to work with other lawyers who support WPB and will be focused on ensuring that WPB's exposure to legal risk is managed and facilitating the effective execution of business and operational strategies and initiatives.
You will need to provide legal advice and guidance with respect to issues concerning our retail customers, products, distribution channels and regulators under a wide range of laws. This includes the Banking Act 1959 (Cth), Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001 (Cth), Corporations Act 1999 (Cth), National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009 (Cth), the Banking Code of Practice, the ePayments Code and the Credit Reporting Code of Conduct.
You will need to facilitate key strategies and initiatives arising from the significant volume of legislative change impacting retail banking in Australia. This includes the implementation of Open Banking, Design and Distribution Obligations and the recommendations made by the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry.
We expect you will have skills and experience in digitisation and the transformation of retail banking, as well as data privacy and regulatory change. Responsibilities
- Leading the legal support for the WPB business.
- Providing commercially sensitive and pragmatic legal advice, guidance and support to our WPB business in Australia.
- Working with WPB to facilitate the effective execution of business and operational strategies and initiatives.
- Assisting Legal management to identify, formulate and communicate policies, procedures and controls to ensure that HSBC's exposure to legal risk in the WPB business is managed effectively.
- Ensuring that matters arising from legal issues are promptly identified to Legal management and assisting in the management of such issues.
- Ability to provide leadership and responsibility as the head lawyer supporting a major business division.
- An experienced and confident lawyer with significant PQE, admitted to practice as a solicitor within an Australian jurisdiction.
- Knowledge and experience of the Australian banking and financial services legal regime, including retail banking, corporate and securities law.
- Experience in drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills and the flexibility to work on a wide range of matters in an inclusive way.
- Ability to work effectively in a pressurised and time sensitive environment.
- Strong communication, interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders and external clients.
- Ability to think laterally and possess strong problem solving skills.
Issued by HSBC Bank Australia Limited. #LI-HSBCMH