Senior Systems Development Engineer
DESCRIPTION Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a Senior Systems Development Engineer for the Network Availability Engineering team in Sydney to work in the heart of global AWS Networking. The Network Health team is comprised of Software Developers, Systems Development Engineers (DevOps), Network Automation Engineers, and Data Scientists - with this combination of skills, we develop unique software that enables the AWS network to safely operate at scale without customer impact, and we have multiple patents and patents pending for our pioneering approach. If this sounds interesting to you, this could be the role for you!
Systems Development Engineers in this team will work hand-in-hand with Software Development Engineers, Network Engineering and Network Operations teams to invent and simplify the processes that drive this crucial piece of technology. As a Senior Systems Development Engineer, you will be responsible for the designing the architecture of the cloud infrastructure that powers the software products that our team develops - this will include the need for strong document writing skills and proven systems design and scalability experience.
Our ideal candidate is highly autonomous, very detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills and has experience working with large scale, enterprise class networks. They have the desire and ability to work closely with their peers and customers in a fast paced, collaborative environment. They will develop best practices and bring both a focus on operational best practice and proactive innovation to the role.
This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
• Own designs for cloud infrastructure powering multiple software tools with a global footprint and user base.
• Mentor and guide other engineers in the team and beyond.
• Work with Software and Network Engineers to design challenging problems on the mind-blowingly large scale of the AWS global network.
• Manage and Develop the CI/CD infrastructure that deploys our software to Data Centres around the globe
• Be part of the team that shapes the Network Safety Software, including on-call support.
• Work closely with our Network Engineering teams to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products.
• Identify and troubleshoot recurring platform issues. Effective escalation of same to mid- and senior-level engineering teams for full resolution
• Create and review documentation and process regarding recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
• Ensure the availability, security and performance of systems critical to the operation of the AWS Network
• Work with our team's Data Scientists to create machine learning and big data solutions.
• Troubleshoot, resolve and prevent recurrence of operational issues, automating away manual tasking.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Experience working with large scale cloud architecture, with a particular emphasis on large or rapidly growing scale.
• Extensive design experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers is required.
• In depth experience in working with Linux/Unix environments.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent experience.
• Software development skills, specifically in Python with 8+ years of experience.
• Experience with computer networking
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Hands-on experience of key AWS services like S3, DynamoDB, Lambda, SNS/SQS, etc.
• Experience of building systems on AWS using infrastructure-as-code approaches like CloudFormation.
• Experience in system architecture design
• Excellent analytical skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status.