Software Development Engineer
The Amazon Defensive Security Organization protects and defends customer trust by ensuring resilience to information security threats. We strive to understand our attack surface and threats, and respond with adaptive defenses based on risk. Software Engineering is a core component that helps us achieve our mission through building high-profile, critical software solutions at a scale that allows security professionals at Amazon to focus on resolving threats while software manages all known unknowns.
What will you help us create?
We are tasked with building scaled software supporting the high-tempo needs of security teams at Amazon. Threat intelligence, detection, monitoring, hunting, and response, forensics, malware, reverse engineering, security analysis and machine learning. If these concepts interest you - read on!
You will work with other members of our growing team to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility of ideas. You will write high quality distributed software systems, operating at a massive scale that's not available anywhere else. Come help us drive best practices, operational and engineering excellence across the organization, impacting how other teams operate!
What are we looking for in an ideal candidate?
We are looking for candidates that have experience in shipping well-designed software and partnering with systems engineers, development engineers and technical program managers to deliver consumer facing products. We want engineers that demonstrate great passion for customers, agility and adaptability in the face of fast changing business requirements and innovation. If you enjoy shipping software in a fast-paced environment and collaborating on new approaches to building and serving our Customer's and Amazon's security, come join us!
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Applications will only be accepted from candidates that have the appropriate rights to work permanently in Australia Basic Qualifications
• 3+ years of experience designing, building, deploying, operating, scaling and evolving distributed systems and high-volume transaction applications in a 24/7 dev ops environment
• 3+ years of industry experience in software development with Java, C#, Python, Ruby, or other similar/object-oriented language
• Experience with software development methodologies like Kanban, SCRUM, or Scrumban; ability to communicate and interpret requirements documented via user stories or technical specs.
• Experience with full stack development teams, owning APIs, UIs, and data stores. Operating software in data centres or cloud environments.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field or equivalent work experience
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation Preferred Qualifications
• Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills. Knowledge of a scripting languages a plus
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
• Understanding of DevOps and operational support of software in production; build tools and CI/CD
• Experience with Amazon Web Services tech stack is a plus. Working knowledge of core AWS products [S3, Lambda, Dynamo, RDS, ELBs, Route53 etc.]
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to partner with engineers, program managers, and customers
• Ability to think outside of the box, innovating and driving product vision for the space, focusing on goals and needs of end customers
• Ability to deal with a high degree of ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly and big, finding solutions on your feet
• Master's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent work experience is a plus