Software Development Engineer – Amazon RDS and Aurora
As a Software Development Engineer for the RDS Availability team, you will have the opportunity to
• Process and access petabytes of data in real-time
• Streams complex telemetry in 1 second intervals for millions of databases
• Be the guardians of RDS's SLO/SLA by find problems in RDS and drive the correction.
• Use wide variety of technology stacks (Java, Python, Ruby, ReactJS, NodeJS) with freedom to choose the best for greenfield projects
• Build and own services from end to end.
• Uses deep learning capabilities
As a part of Amazon RDS and Aurora, you will be doing just this and more. RDS is a collection of relational database engines from open source, commercial and Aurora. It's a service designed to make it easier to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the AWS Cloud. Aurora is a distributed, fault-tolerant, leveraging a self-healing storage system that auto-scales up to 64TB, it outperforms standard MySQL databases and PostgreSQL databases by being that much faster!
RDS and Aurora are fast-growing core services of the AWS Cloud, with business and engineering decisions having a widespread impact across many of the world's fastest growing businesses that include Netflix, Expedia, Airbnb and many more. They are dependable on the performances of our services to scale and support their mission-critical workloads.
RDS is the largest collection of relational databases in the world, the Amazon Day 1 mentality means that we are constantly improving and adding new capabilities to RDS to enhance its already high availability. As a result of high service growth we need Software Engineers to come a board to help us achieve our mission statement and to help push availability even further!
Working in a highly motivated team of sharp and insightful engineers you'll be challenged to think of unique and innovative solutions. You will exercise your intellectual curiosity by working on some of the hardest engineering problems at an unprecedented scale.
This is a hands-on position in which you will architect software end to end, gather requirements, create technical strategies, participate in design review, code reviews, incremental feature launches, operations, mentor and drive continuous improvement. Basic Qualifications
• 3+ years of professional software development/ engineering experience, developing high quality code and comfortable with test driven development.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Knowledge of systems that scale through software (architecture, design patterns and reliability).
• Experience in communicating with peers, technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements & describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle; including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong willingness to make a difference. Preferred Qualifications
• Distributed computing and large-scale systems, taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Exposure to large-scale distributed storage and database systems (e.g. SQL, NoSQL, Graph Databases).
• Hand on experience with AWS services such as CloudFormation, CloudWatch, RDS and EC2
• Have mentored software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, and productive software engineers.
• Delivered software in an environment that utilises Agile methodologies like SCRUM or Kanban.
• Masters in Computer Science or equivalent.
• Linux/UNIX administrator experience.
• Experience on full stack development.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.