Software Development Engineer II - AWS Redshift
Do you want to be part of the team building a brand new approach to cloud data warehousing? Amazon Redshift is a fast, scalable data warehouse that makes it simple and cost-effective for our customers to analyse data across their data warehouse and data lakes. Advanced Query Accelerator (AQUA) for Redshift is a new distributed and hardware-accelerated cache that enables Redshift to run up to 10x faster than any other cloud data warehouse.
We're building a new team in Sydney to help deliver the technologies that orchestrate and manage AQUA for Redshift. As an engineer on the team you will have the opportunity to:
• Work on a disruptive product before it's generally available.
• Solve problems that will revolutionise data analytics in the cloud.
• Create technical strategies and deliver with limited guidance.
• Build a product that will leverage the scale of resources available in the cloud.
In this role, you will have responsibility for:
• Translating functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design.
• Participating in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards.
• Working with our peer teams in Seattle and Palo Alto to deliver and operate large scale, distributed services in the cloud.
Our teams have a very flat organizational structure and casual office vibe. They operate much like a start-up in that we try to keep them small, but leverage all the resources and stability of being the largest cloud provider. This dynamic creates a fast-paced, intellectually stimulating environment with a lot of ownership and collaboration with little red tape.
We are looking for Software Development Engineers who have built a lot of software - shipped products and created platforms, tools and modules. You should be passionate about optimizing the software development experience at a very large scale, using your strong technical skills and motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. You are naturally enthusiastic about learning new technologies and industry trends and are excited by the idea of solving hard technical challenges! Basic Qualifications
• 3+ years of professional software development experience developing high quality code.
• Programming experience with one or more of the following languages - Java, Python, Go, C++, or C#.
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design and complexity analysis.
• Knowledge of systems that scale through software (architecture, design patterns and reliability).
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle; including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Preferred Qualifications
• Experience with distributed computing and large-scale systems, taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Exposure to large-scale distributed storage and database systems (e.g. SQL, NoSQL, Graph Databases)
• Have mentored software engineers to help improve their skills, efficiency and productivity.
• Delivered software in an environment that utilises Agile methodologies like SCRUM or Kanban.
• Hand on experience with AWS services such as RDS, EC2, Dynamo DB, CloudWatch.
• Masters in Computer Science or equivalent.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation