Software Development Engineer (Load Balancing)
Amazon Web Services is seeking a talented and passionate Software Development Engineer to join our Load Balancing team in Sydney. This engineer will have a significant impact on our business as they build mission critical services to abstract away complex workflows enabling our customers to safely operate and scale Amazon's load balancing platform.
We are building a suite of robust services that provide improved control, visibility and predictability for Amazon's load balancing requirements worldwide.
As a Software Development Engineer for Load Balancing, you'll have a unique opportunity to shape the development of our network infrastructure. You'll work on Amazon's hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. You will design and implement software systems supporting a scalable and robust network. You'll strive for simplicity, demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment, and contribute towards intellectual property through patents.
• Continually improve your level of knowledge about Amazon's business and relevant networks & technologies, and use this knowledge to deliver high quality, accurate software deliverables.
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
• You will play a leadership role in your team, will drive best practices, and will play an important role in the design, architecture, and the evolution of load balancing systems.
• You will be responsible for major deliverables, and will be expected to show good judgment, to think in terms of architectures
• You will Troubleshoot and fix operational problems: You will work with systems and software engineers to troubleshoot operational problems and fix them. You will also have the opportunity to automate troubleshooting procedures, write tools and, when the issues concern specific customers, talk to customers and understand their space better.
The ideal candidate will be a designer, builder and an operator. A successful software developer will demonstrate the following skills and experience:
• Ability to work within technical standards, technical architecture and engineering practices across an organization.
• Capacity to think globally when building systems, ensuring Amazon builds high performing, scalable systems that fit well together.
• High judgment and creativity; ability to decompose complex problems into simple solutions.
• Competence to exert technical influence over the team, increasing productivity and effectiveness by sharing your knowledge and experience. Basic Qualifications
• BS degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
• 4+ years' experience building scalable, fault tolerant software or distributed systems.
• Experience in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, Python, C++
• Deep hands-on technical expertise (3+ years) in at least one major technical area: large scale Unix systems engineering, building complex distributed systems, designing large scale networks
• Ability to gather customer requirements and deliver innovative solutions.
• Experience with software engineering best practices (code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, release and change management).
• Very strong problem solving and coding skills.
• Understanding of data structures, algorithms and their performance.
• Comfortable with Linux and a good understanding of networking concepts. Preferred Qualifications
Experience with load balancing technologies like NGINX, AWS ELB, F5 or Citrix NetScalers