System Development Engineer - AWS Direct Connect - Sydney, Australia
We are looking for exceptional System Development Engineers to join us at our Sydney, Australia location to build the next generation of the AWS Direct Connect service. This position will be responsible for designing, developing, and supporting the AWS Direct Connect service.
First, a bit of background:
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a broad set of global compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and networking services that help organizations move faster, lower IT costs, and scale applications. Our services are trusted by the largest enterprises and the hottest startups to power a wide variety of workloads.
The AWS Direct Connect team delivers solutions that make it easy for customers to establish a dedicated network connection from their premises to the AWS cloud. These connections help to reduce network costs, increase bandwidth throughput, and provide a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections. AWS Direct Connect is currently available in more than 91 locations located in 28 countries.
AWS gives its engineers a tremendous amount of responsibility and empowers them to do whatever it takes to meet customer needs. The AWS Direct Connect team is looking for experienced technical experts who can help us build large scale distributed systems to meet our customers' demands. You will be designing, implementing, and operating features to put features into customers' hands quickly.
AWS in general and this business, in particular, operates at very large scale and on critical workloads, so a passion for operational excellence is essential. Candidates must be comfortable working within a fast-moving startup environment and be eager to embrace ownership and accountability.
Amazon has a fast-paced environment where we "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History." On a "typical" day, software engineers might whip up a prototype to prove or disprove an idea, instrument code to report a new metric, talk with customers, code up a feature, or draft a proposal for a radical new idea.
For detailed info regarding Direct Connect visit:
For more information on Amazon Web Services please visit: http://aws.amazon.com/
- Automate network operations and deployment tasks by creating and maintaining existing software components.
- Design systems management solutions using automation and self-repair rather than relying on alarming and human intervention.
- Possess excellent troubleshooting and problem analysis skills.
- Drive technical innovation and efficiency in infrastructure operations via automation.
- Create processes that enhance operational workflow and provide positive customer impact.
- Dive deep to resolve problems at their root, looking for failure patterns amenable to long-term solutions via simplification and automation.
- Avoid re-inventing the wheel and develop simple, repeatable solutions and processes
- Act as a technical point of escalation & mentor for junior staff.
- Recognize and adopt best practices in documentation, testing, security, operational support at scale, and efficient use of resources.
- Develop appropriate metrics to demonstrate performance at improving operational efficiency. Basic Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
• 3+ years of experience deploying and operating Linux in a data center environment.
• 3+ years of experience with monitoring, troubleshooting and resolving network and software components.
• 3+ years of experience in automation via shell scripting and Perl/Python programming.
• Knowledge of standard internet protocols (Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
• 2+ Experience with network automation (e.g. automated provisioning and remote configuration of switches and routers; flow-based analysis and predictive modeling of traffic in dynamic routing environments.) Preferred Qualifications
• Networking experience with routers and switches.
• Experience with working with ISPs/Colocation providers.
• Experience with large scale distributed systems.
• Experience with AWS.