Assist the Head of Risk & Credit Support to perform the role of the second line of defence through the governance, oversight, development and management of:
- A strong, independent but commercially aware Risk Management function covering all classes of risk affecting the bank including, credit risk, market risk, operational risk, regulatory risk, conduct risk and reputational risk.
- Preserving high standards of risk assessment and appraisal, and manage controlled development of the Subsidiary’s risk portfolio in line with the Risk Appetite Statement set by the Board and ABC Group policies.
Maintaining a proactive and professional approach to risk management and developing an enterprise-wide risk management culture across the bank to embed risk awareness, the three lines of defence model and procedural integrity.
Principal Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Deliverables of Role:
- Ensure timely and accurate risk reporting to Head Office, BRC and the CBB.
- Ensure implementation of regular monitoring and compliance with covenants, approval conditions and credit administration issues.
- Assist in resolving issues raised by Audit pertaining to the risk role within the Bank.
- Attend to changes in regulatory requirements.
- Act as Secretary to the Bank’s monthly risk meeting.
- Provide support to the Head to ensure that Bank’s governance, policies and procedures are aligned with both Group guidance and local regulatory requirements.
- Assist in the identification, quantification, governance and management/mitigation of risks incurred by the business
- Coordinates the activities of Group risk disciplines [e.g. operational risk, wholesale credit risk] in support of the wholesale bank
- Provide support and be a focal point for issues escalation
- Act independently from the 1st line of defence to identify and escalate issues and concerns to recommend amendments to policies, procedures, practices, etc. or the cessation of activities, businesses which lie outside of risk appetite.
- Participate, as required, in tracks and oversees investigations and remediation of limit/cap excesses, focusing on root cause analysis and sharing key learnings.
- Drives improvements in the quality of risk management information presented to local and Group Committees to strengthen decision-making: while emphasizing timeliness of submissions and continuous improvement.
- Assist in ensuring no high-risk issues are raised by auditors/CBB that should have been escalated as per Group policy.
- Ensure compliance with Group-wide Control Standards.
- Contribute to building credit awareness & three lines of defence risk culture within risk & business staff in the Bank.
- Operate within the risk management function in support of the wholesale banking – e.g. regulatory compliance, operational risk, wholesale credit analysis.
- Proactively seek to remain up to date on the most innovative thinking, trends and changes that impact our industry and business through industry associations, conferences and other external sources of information
- Liaise and work with external regulators and external auditors.
- Liaise and work with internal and external legal advisors.
- Resolve audit issues relating to risk and credit in a timely manner.
- Contribute to promoting a culture of risk control and compliance within the Bank by leading example.
- Prepare impaired asset report for submission to HO.
- Prepare risk reports for presentation and discussion in BRC meetings.
- Contribute, as necessary, to participation in consultations issued by the CBB, relating to risk, and provide timely responses.
Job Context (Circumstances & environment surrounding the job):
The job holder is expected to:
- provide support in setting risk strategy and appetite in coordination with the concerned parties in the Bank and Head Office;
- monitor and analyse bank’s different credit portfolios including FI and Corporates;
- ensure the adoption of market best practice;
- be in full Compliance with HO regulations and Local regulations while ensuring that stricter regulations are adhered to;
- be fully conversant with the bank’s and Group credit policies and procedures (as amended periodically) both for implementation in H. O. and for advice to Relationship Managers where necessary;
- have good negotiation skills and tact in order to build strong relationships with RMs; and
- develop a strong rapport with the Bank staff.
- Understanding of credit and risk fundamentals
- Awareness of Corporate Governance
- Knowledge of CBB Rulebook
- Familiar with AAOIFI standards
- Knowledge of Islamic banking products
Education / Certifications
- A university degree in Business Administration/Finance
- A professional qualification in Risk is advantageous
- More than 5 years in banking, the majority of which in risk areas
- Self-motivated, independent as well as a team player.
- Effective communicator.
- Problem solver acts well and promptly under pressure displaying, at the same time, calmness and great patience
- Excellent organization skills which affect positively efficiency and productivity
- Excellent attitude at all times spreading positive energy to all colleagues around