Member of the Board and Director of Resolution Policy Development and Coordination
- Brussels, Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium Brussels Bruxelles-Capitale BE
- Permanent, Full time
- European Commission
- 13 Aug 18 2018-08-13
Single Resolution Board — Publication of a vacancy for the function of Member of the Board and Director of Resolution Policy Development and Coordination
The Single Resolution Board
The Single Resolution Board (SRB) is the European resolution authority and works in close cooperation with the national resolution authorities of participating Member States — together forming the Single Resolution Mechanism (SRM). The SRB works closely with the European Commission and the European Central Bank (ECB) in safeguarding financial stability.
Its mission is to ensure an orderly resolution of failing banks with minimum impact on the real economy and on public finances of the participating Member States and beyond. Therefore, the SRB is granted specific tasks and responsibilities in preparing for and carrying out the resolution of banks that are failing or likely to fail.
The SRB is also responsible for managing the Single Resolution Fund (SRF), as established by the SRM Regulation, to ensure that medium-term funding support is available while a bank is being restructured and/or resolved.
The SRB is a self-financed agency of the European Union.
The European Commission, in consultation with the SRB, is organising a selection procedure for a Member of the Board and Director for Resolution Policy Development and Coordination.
The place of employment will be Brussels (Belgium), where the SRB has its seat.
The successful candidate will take up her/his duties (i) as a voting Member of the SRB decision-making bodies — the Board in its Plenary Session and the Executive Session; and (ii) as Director for Resolution Policy Development and Coordination in the SRB.
As a voting Member of the Board in its Plenary Session and Executive Session she/he will contribute actively to the fulfilment of the Board’s tasks and responsibilities, in accordance with the mandate assigned by the SRM Regulation.
In addition, the successful candidate in her/his capacity of Director of Resolution Policy Development and Coordination will be in charge of the respective Directorate of policy development and coordination.
In particular, the successful candidate will:
- lead the development of policies and methodology for the SRB’s resolution activities and coordinate those with the Resolution Directorates, to ensure the effective and consistent functioning of the Single Resolution Mechanism; this includes steering preparation of resolution plans of the entities that fall within the SRB’s direct responsibilities as well as the SRB’s oversight function of entities under the remit of national resolution authorities,
- steer the SRB’s multiannual work programme for the resolution planning function, and coordinate its implementation at different levels in the organisation in coordination with the Resolution Directorates and in close cooperation with the national resolution authorities to provide a clear set of guidance and objectives and determine priorities in the framework of the SRB’s overall strategic planning,
- contribute to the preparation of resolution actions and, if necessary, to resolution decisions on the entities that fall within the SRB’s responsibilities,
- oversee and manage the general cooperation with national resolution authorities, the European Central Bank and the European Commission in resolution-related topics including, where appropriate, cooperation agreements,
- manage day-to-day work of the Directorate and ensure its smooth and effective functioning, which will also include close cooperation with other business areas of the SRB, in particular, with the Resolution Directorates and Legal Department,
- target the achievement of the Directorate’s objectives, according to required deadlines and quality standards, and monitor and evaluate the progress,
- coordinate the work of the units comprising the Directorate, motivate and support the middle management in attaining their objectives and realising their and their staff members’ potential,
- ensure smooth cooperation and communication with other Board Members/Directors and Directorates; promote positive practices towards the Directorate’s internal and external stakeholders, and
- liaise and maintain relations with the EU institutions and bodies and any other public authority and private entity on matters within her/his Directorate’s responsibilities.
The successful candidate will report to the Chair of the SRB on her/his individual contributions as the Director of Resolution Policy Development and Coordination.
To be considered for the selection phase, candidates must fulfil the following formal criteria by the closing date for applications:
Nationality: be a national of a Member State of the European Union,
University degree or diploma:
- have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies, attested by a diploma, where the normal period of university education is 4 years or more, or
- have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies, attested by a diploma, and appropriate professional experience of at least 1 year, where the normal period of university education is at least 3 years (this 1 year’s professional experience cannot be included in the postgraduate professional experience required below),
Professional experience: have at least 20 years’ postgraduate professional experience acquired after the qualification referred to above was obtained, of which at least 10 years in areas relevant to the supervision, restructuring or resolution of financial institutions and the regulation of financial markets,
Senior management experience: at least 5 years of professional experience in leading an organisation in a senior executive position, and
Languages: have a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of at least another official language of the European Union. Selection panels may verify during the interview(s) whether applicants comply with the requirement of a satisfactory knowledge of another official EU language. This could include part of the interview being conducted in this other language.
There is no age limit.
Candidates should have:
- a deep knowledge of the banking and financial sector,
- thorough experience in one or more of the following domains: supervision, restructuring or resolution of financial institutions, regulation of financial markets, banking in particular,
- knowledge of the EU institutions and EU decision-making processes together with experience relevant to the activities of the SRB either in European and international processes or as a minimum in private sector at international level,
- experience in successfully leading large teams with multidisciplinary (and, ideally, multicultural) backgrounds at a senior management level and in motivating staff to achieve high levels of performance,
- proven ability to take and implement decisions, both at strategic and operational level,
- an outstanding sense of leadership and experience in working in a multicultural environment,
- excellent negotiating skills and ability to build sound working relationships with high-level representatives of relevant stakeholders,
- an outstanding sense of responsibility and initiative and the ability to develop and implement a strategic vision,
- excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; a very good command of English is necessary, as it is the working language of the SRB.
The deadline for applications is 12 September 2018. Online registration will not be possible after 12.00 noon Brussels time.
The European Union institutions apply a policy of equal opportunities and accept applications without discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.
For more information on how to apply, please click the Apply Button.