Research Associate (1-yr contract)
- Calgary, AB, Canada
- Permanent, Full time
- Franklin Templeton Investments
- 23 Oct 17 2017-10-23
Research Associate (1-yr contract)
Franklin Templeton Investments is a leading global investment management organization due to the efforts of our greatest assets - our employees. We have over 9,000 employees working in 60 offices around the world, servicing investment solutions for our clients in more than 150 countries. We believe in our corporate values of putting clients first, building relationships, achieving quality results, and working with integrity. Our people are dedicated to delivering strong results and exceptional service to clients, team members and business partners.
For more than 65 years, our success has been a direct result of the talent, skills and persistence of our people. We are currently looking for qualified candidates to join our winning team.
The Research Associate is responsible for research on market, industry, individual companies, and individual securities, as well as providing support as required for portfolio managers and traders. The incumbent will research and analyze securities, and prepare and present sector and credit reports to facilitate portfolio managers' security and portfolio selection process. The role will also review business and trade publications, annual reports, financial filings and updates, and prepare ranking sheets and financial models for portfolio selection and monitoring.
- Review, interpret and analyze the financial statements (balance sheets, cash flow statements, income statements, notes) of individual issuers under coverage.
- Participate in relevant quarterly analysts' calls and due diligence meetings with management teams, and speak with sell-side analysts who cover the names.
- Collect and analyze news and sell-side analyst reports on issuers as available.
- Update fixed income teams on any material changes to credit quality or credit opinion on names under coverage.
- Review information to update or prepare ranking sheets, and update fixed income team members on any changes to opinion or credit quality and where relevant, trading recommendations.
- Maintain spreadsheets with ranking for each sector and issuer under coverage.
- Provide a central source for up-to-date sector opinions, issuer opinions, relative value opinions and relevant financial metrics.
- Leverage internal and external resources to create semi-annual sector reviews for each sector under coverage. Ensure the sector reviews provide recommendations on sector weightings, updated issuer opinions and, where appropriate, trading recommendations.
- Create credit reports (requiring financial models) on new holdings, and present to the Investment Management Committee.
- Provide assessments of new issues and assist in determination of appropriate placement of any new issue, ideal trade size, most appropriate sources of funding.
- Assist traders in execution of trades as required.
- Assist portfolio managers and traders.
Ideal candidates will have:
- MBA/CA/Masters/BComm in Finance/Accounting.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (Level 2/3) is preferred.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
- Sound understanding of financial statements and capital markets.
- Experience in fixed income or equity research preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills, and experience working with large amounts of data.
- Strong analytical and report writing skills.
- Strong presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-driven, organized, strong attention to detail and flexible.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to take initiative to access resources and expertise needed.
- Ability to quickly process information, synthesize it and identify key issues.
- Ability to develop innovative and practical analytical approaches to problems.
Highlights of our benefits include:
* Flexible medical, dental and vision insurance
* Corporate Pension Plan
* Employee Stock Investment Program
* Purchase company funds with no sales charge
* Competitive vacation package that includes three annual personal days
* Company paid short-term and long-term Disability Insurance
* Education assistance
Franklin Templeton Investments Corp. is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We invite you to visit us at www.franklintempletoncareers.com to learn more about our company and our career opportunities.