Director Database Engineering & Operations, Global Technology Services
Requisition ID: 73089
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off. The Team:
Global Technology Services (GTS) is accountable for planning, engineering and 24x7 operations of all global infrastructure supporting Scotiabank. We deliver the full range of IT infrastructure services inclusive of the public cloud, traditional data centers and our branch locations. Our services include architecture, engineering and operational support of our networks, systems and databases as well as end-user support for over 90,000 Scotia Bank employees. GTS is a team of over 1,800 people located in 15 countries, with our primary locations in Toronto and Mexico City. The role:
Reporting to and receiving broad direction from the VP of Global Engineering and Operations you are responsible for engineering and overall management of database infrastructure. This consists of Oracle, Sybase, MS-SQL, Postgres and MySQL technologies that provide the Relational Database Management systems as well as NoSQL and other emerging database technologies. These database technologies are an integral component of virtually all mission critical front & back office applications. You are responsible for defining and implementing database standards and database infrastructure management solutions in accordance with industry best practices to ensure data integrity, security, and recoverability for production and BCP databases. Is this role right for you?
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role?
- You act independently to develop and deploy strategic initiatives and projects to ensure mission critical business applications meet business needs and follow bank standards
- You use technology to meet strategic and tactical business goals and identify opportunities and processes that will enhance the overall robustness and integrity of the database infrastructure.
- You can define and implement database architecture standards, operational standards, data security and access standards to address the data storage requirements for all supported applications
- You stay current on all aspects of database technology, advancements in data storage & management techniques, data security strategies, data access methods, data replication methods, backup/recovery methodologies, performance tuning and capacity management strategies.
- You are a proven leader and can provide counsel, coaching, and set performance expectations. You provide continuous performance feedback as needed including the preparation of formal performance appraisals.
- You can identify, retain and recruit qualified and skilled staff to deliver a high-level of service ensuring application stability and availability.
- You are proactive and ensure efficient resource usage, stability, software currency and security through proactive maintenance, patching, upgrades and innovative new technologies.
What's in it for you?
- You have a degree in computer science, business, math or engineering related discipline, along with 10 or more years of practical experience.
- You posses the financial acumen to manage a large budget and to perform financial analysis to establish the viability and/or appropriateness of vendor services and solutions.
- You can translate the vision and objectives of the business into the appropriate operational and technical requirements.
- You have broad and diverse technical knowledge of multiple RDBMS/NoSQL products, operating platforms, networks, firewalls, client/server architecture, middle tier application servers, development tools, access protocols, security standards, decision Support and OLAP tools.
- You must possess excellent communication and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task. The ability to provide leadership and communicate effectively with Senior Management, technical and non-technical staff, as well as business partners.
- You must be a highly creative, self-starting, results-oriented, and a highly motivated individual with excellent analytical skills with the ability to independently resolve complex technical problems that are multi-dimensional and often unstructured and without precedent.
- While our focus is on finding the right technology leader you will have the opportunity grow both your technical and leadership skills. You will be part of management team that is dedicated to delivering business value by evolving the organization and implementing innovative cutting-edge technologies.
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top technology companies around the world.
- Scotiabank is committed to be a leader in the digital transformation of the banking industry. We have established Digital Factories in five locations across the globe (https://digitalfactory.scotiabank.com/) and you will be an integral part of this journey.
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We foster an environment of innovation and continuous learning.
- We offer a competitive total rewards package, including a performance bonus, company matching programs (pension & Employee Share Ownership), generous vacation; health/medical/wellness benefits; employee banking privileges.
- Flexible work locations throughout Toronto & Scarborough. The primary work location is at 720 King Street West.
- The primary location is located steps from TTC's King 504 streetcar stop, which gets you from TTC's Line 1 subway stops at King or St. Andrew stations, and its connection to GO Transit/VIA Rail hub at Union Station.
- This location is also located steps from TTC's 511 Bathurst streetcar stop, which is a transfer point from TTC's Line 2 subway stop at Bathurst station.
- If you really want to drive to work, it's minutes away from the Gardiner Expressway / Lakeshore Boulevard West.
- You have card access to The Commons, a dining space at Scotia Plaza for employees where breakfast & lunch are served. Also, The Bean serves hot/cold beverages & snacks.
- Our location has a lunch room with TV screens, fridges, microwaves & vending machines. It's also in a dynamic & flourishing neighbourhood that is home to many nearby top Toronto restaurants/bars & fast-food options. Nearby amenities include a running club, florist, pharmacy, convenience stores, supermarket, LCBO, coffee shops.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Database, Operations Manager, Medical, Manager, Technology, Operations, Healthcare, Management