Investment Banking Associate, Metals & Mining
Requisition ID: 83237
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off. Position Highlights:
Associates in Investment Banking enjoy a stimulating and challenging work environment in which they execute a broad range of transactions. A high degree of responsibility is afforded to those demonstrating initiative and the desire to take on such responsibility.
At the early stages of their career, Associates focus on client presentations, financial modeling, research and mentoring/supervising Analysts. As the individual's career progresses, Associates take on increased responsibilities on live transactions and participating in business development under the guidance of senior group members. Scotiabank brings new Associates in contact with senior team members and clients at the earliest possible stage, allowing them to gain experience in managing and cultivating relationships.
A significant amount of effort, diligence and initiative is required to properly execute assignments. The complexity of clients' financial requirements coupled with the intense competitiveness of the investment banking industry necessitates a full commitment to the task at hand. Standards are very high as most work is presented to senior executives at client firms and supervision is provided only to the extent that it is required.
With a limited hierarchy of professionals and a small project team approach, Associates have ample opportunity for career growth and development. On any given project, Associates will interact with other departments of the firm such as Corporate Banking, Equity Capital Markets, Global Fixed Income and Global Equity Derivatives gaining knowledge and understanding of both investment banking and the capital markets.
New Associates may participate in the Capital Ideas Program, an intensive training program developed by the Firm. The program is designed to orient participants to our culture, people, products and services and to provide the soft and technical skills, and contacts critical for success. Team projects, individual study and social activities supplement classroom discussions. Responsibilities:
Major Activities Include:
- Evaluating and analyzing the financial needs of corporate clients, including the development of financial models
- Creating marketing materials and presentations
- Supporting transaction structuring and execution efforts, with increasing levels of responsibility and accountability over time
- Identifying and developing business opportunities with clients
- Perform comprehensive financial statement analysis and create and maintain models
- Collect, consolidate and interpret company and industry data
- Financial and written analysis of companies and industries
- Preparing client presentations, including compiling data and assembling presentation materials
- Supporting drafting of transaction documents and marketing materials
- Applying product and capital markets knowledge to help clients achieve their financial objectives
- 3 - 6 years' work experience in Investment Banking or M&A, with preference for the Mining sector
- Bachelor or Master degree in Business, Math, Engineering, Science or Geology
- Proven record of outstanding achievement in academic and extracurricular activities
- Strong quantitative skills focused on financial analysis, accounting and financial theory
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A high level of attention to detail
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a high standard of work
- The ability to excel under pressure amid demanding deadlines
- The ability to perform effectively in a team environment
- High professional standards including a strong sense of personal integrity and teamwork
- Demonstrated ability to quickly adapt to new situations
- A high level of energy and a keen desire to learn new concepts
- Independent thinker and proven ability to make decisions
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Bank, Banking, Equity, Geology, Engineer, Finance, Engineering